none
Visual Studio 2012 rdlc with external reference bug? RRS feed

• Question

• I'm using rdlc with external reference in my Application.

In Visual Studio 2010 I had to copy the dll into "C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Visual Studio 10.0\Common7\IDE\PrivateAssemblies" then it was possible to Build the application.

With the Visual Studio 2012 I tried with following directories:

C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Visual Studio 11.0\Common7\IDE\PrivateAssemblies

I allways get an error "the assembly couldn't be loaded" is it a bug or have I to copy my assembly in an another directory.

I'm trying to find a solution for a weeek.

Please help me.

• Edited by Harry Stein Thursday, August 30, 2012 5:43 AM
    Wednesday, August 29, 2012 9:09 PM

Answers

• Are you getting the error at build time? If so try putting you external assembly in the .NET Framework folder where the MSBuild.exe is:

C:\Windows\Microsoft.NET\Framework\v4.0.30319

If you are targeting .NET 3.5 you may need to put the assemblies the 3.5 Framework folder. Let me know if this doesn't work.

Matt M.

This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights

• Proposed as answer by Matt Meyer - MSFT Wednesday, August 29, 2012 10:11 PM
    • Marked as answer by Harry Stein Thursday, August 30, 2012 7:12 AM
    Wednesday, August 29, 2012 10:11 PM

All replies

• Are you getting the error at build time? If so try putting you external assembly in the .NET Framework folder where the MSBuild.exe is:

If you are targeting .NET 3.5 you may need to put the assemblies the 3.5 Framework folder. Let me know if this doesn't work.

Matt M.

• Proposed as answer by Matt Meyer - MSFT Wednesday, August 29, 2012 10:11 PM
    • Marked as answer by Harry Stein Thursday, August 30, 2012 7:12 AM
    Wednesday, August 29, 2012 10:11 PM
  • Hi Matt,

it works.

Thank you

Harry

Thursday, August 30, 2012 7:12 AM

Matt M.

Is there any way to configure several workingDirectories for MsBuild.exe that could take referenced libraries from these indicated folders?

.chris

• Edited by .chris Thursday, November 29, 2012 9:12 AM
    Thursday, November 29, 2012 9:11 AM
  • I have tried this, but no luck !

I use VS2012 and run Windows8.

Please help !

Thanks

Monday, July 8, 2013 9:35 PM
  • I know this is super late ... however, I had the same issue in VS2013.  I set the build output to Diagnostic verbosity and noticed that there were several calls to assemblies in the directory "C:\Program Files (x86)\MSBuild\12.0\Bin".  So I copied my custom assemblies to there and it works.  I hope this helps anyone looking.
    • Proposed as answer by Sushil Agarwal Wednesday, March 29, 2017 5:15 PM
    Thursday, July 10, 2014 1:02 AM