Problem With Installing Click-Once After Adding ReportViewerControl 14 To the Project RRS feed

• Question

• Hello every one 

I had a project that deployed via click-once and published and then installed just fine

then after adding ReportViewerControl via NuGet , it is published Ok

when I tried to install it I got the following error : 
    Cannot continue. The application is improperly formatted.

Details :

PLATFORM VERSION INFO
    Windows : 10.0.14393.0 (Win32NT)
    Common Language Runtime : 4.0.30319.42000
    System.Deployment.dll : 4.6.1586.0 built by: NETFXREL2
    clr.dll : 4.6.1637.0 built by: NETFXREL3STAGE
    dfdll.dll : 4.6.1586.0 built by: NETFXREL2
    dfshim.dll : 10.0.14393.0 (rs1_release.160715-1616)

SOURCES
    Deployment url : file:///D:/Projects/Published/UltimatePharmaForms.application

IDENTITIES
    Deployment Identity : UltimatePharmaForms.application, Version=17.3.30.1138, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=0000000000000000, processorArchitecture=msil

APPLICATION SUMMARY
    * Installable application.

ERROR SUMMARY
    Below is a summary of the errors, details of these errors are listed later in the log.
    * Activation of D:\Projects\Published\UltimatePharmaForms.application resulted in exception. Following failure messages were detected:
    + Exception reading manifest from file:///D:/Projects/Published/Application%20Files/UltimatePharmaForms_17_3_30_1138/UltimatePharmaForms.exe.manifest: the manifest may not be valid or the file could not be opened.
    + Parsing and DOM creation of the manifest resulted in error. Following parsing errors were noticed: 
    -HRESULT: 0x80070c81
    Start line: 0
    Start column: 0
    Host file:
    + Exception from HRESULT: 0x80070C81

COMPONENT STORE TRANSACTION FAILURE SUMMARY
    No transaction error was detected.

WARNINGS
    * The manifest for this application does not have a signature. Signature validation will be ignored.

OPERATION PROGRESS STATUS
    * [31/03/2017 10:48:49 PM] : Activation of D:\Projects\Published\UltimatePharmaForms.application has started.
    * [31/03/2017 10:48:49 PM] : Processing of deployment manifest has successfully completed.
    * [31/03/2017 10:48:49 PM] : Installation of the application has started.

ERROR DETAILS
    Following errors were detected during this operation.
    * [31/03/2017 10:48:49 PM] System.Deployment.Application.InvalidDeploymentException (ManifestParse)
    - Exception reading manifest from file:///D:/Projects/Published/Application%20Files/UltimatePharmaForms_17_3_30_1138/UltimatePharmaForms.exe.manifest: the manifest may not be valid or the file could not be opened.
    - Source: System.Deployment
    - Stack trace:
    at System.Deployment.Application.ManifestReader.FromDocument(String localPath, ManifestType manifestType, Uri sourceUri)
    at System.Deployment.Application.DownloadManager.DownloadApplicationManifest(AssemblyManifest deploymentManifest, String targetDir, Uri deploymentUri, IDownloadNotification notification, DownloadOptions options, Uri& appSourceUri, String& appManifestPath)
    at System.Deployment.Application.ApplicationActivator.DownloadApplication(SubscriptionState subState, ActivationDescription actDesc, Int64 transactionId, TempDirectory& downloadTemp)
    at System.Deployment.Application.ApplicationActivator.InstallApplication(SubscriptionState& subState, ActivationDescription actDesc)
    at System.Deployment.Application.ApplicationActivator.PerformDeploymentActivation(Uri activationUri, Boolean isShortcut, String textualSubId, String deploymentProviderUrlFromExtension, BrowserSettings browserSettings, String& errorPageUrl)
    at System.Deployment.Application.ApplicationActivator.ActivateDeploymentWorker(Object state)
    --- Inner Exception ---
    System.Deployment.Application.InvalidDeploymentException (ManifestParse)
    - Parsing and DOM creation of the manifest resulted in error. Following parsing errors were noticed: 
    -HRESULT: 0x80070c81
    Start line: 0
    Start column: 0
    Host file:
    - Stack trace:
    at System.Deployment.Application.Manifest.AssemblyManifest.LoadCMSFromStream(Stream stream)
    at System.Deployment.Application.Manifest.AssemblyManifest..ctor(FileStream fileStream)
    at System.Deployment.Application.ManifestReader.FromDocument(String localPath, ManifestType manifestType, Uri sourceUri)
    --- Inner Exception ---
    System.Runtime.InteropServices.COMException
    - Exception from HRESULT: 0x80070C81
    - Stack trace:
    at System.Deployment.Internal.Isolation.IsolationInterop.CreateCMSFromXml(Byte[] buffer, UInt32 bufferSize, IManifestParseErrorCallback Callback, Guid& riid)
    at System.Deployment.Application.Manifest.AssemblyManifest.LoadCMSFromStream(Stream stream)

COMPONENT STORE TRANSACTION DETAILS
    No transaction information is available.

I don't understand anything from it :( 
    Can you please help me figure out why this error is happening and how to solve it ?

Thanks very much.

• Edited by A.Kelany Sunday, April 2, 2017 11:34 AM Clarifyed the question
    • Moved by Hart Wang Monday, April 3, 2017 6:01 AM click once
    Friday, March 31, 2017 7:54 PM

Answers

• Hi,

This is really a problem with the latest Report Viewer dlls.. And the problem is related to the Chinese localization files, that somehow break the ClickOnce's manifest file..

Until Microsoft doesn't fix this problem, the workaround is to remove the Chinese localization files from the deployment package (Project Properties -> Publish -> Application Files -> select "Exclude" for all files in the "zh" folders):

Hope it helps..

Cheers,

André Alves de Lima
    Microsoft MVP - Client App Dev
    Visite o meu site: http://www.andrealveslima.com.br
    Me siga no Twitter: @andrealveslima

• Marked as answer by A.Kelany Tuesday, April 4, 2017 4:29 PM
    Tuesday, April 4, 2017 2:01 PM

All replies

• Hi A.Kelany,

Thank you for posting here.

Since your issue is related to click once, I will move the case to ClickOnce and Setup & Deployment Projects forum.

Best Regards,

Hart

Please remember to click "Mark as Answer" the responses that resolved your issue, and to click "Unmark as Answer" if not. This can be beneficial to other community members reading this thread. If you have any compliments or complaints to MSDN Support, feel free to contact MSDNFSF@microsoft.com.

Monday, April 3, 2017 6:00 AM
  • Hi,

This is really a problem with the latest Report Viewer dlls.. And the problem is related to the Chinese localization files, that somehow break the ClickOnce's manifest file..

Until Microsoft doesn't fix this problem, the workaround is to remove the Chinese localization files from the deployment package (Project Properties -> Publish -> Application Files -> select "Exclude" for all files in the "zh" folders):

Hope it helps..

Cheers,

André Alves de Lima
    Microsoft MVP - Client App Dev
    Visite o meu site: http://www.andrealveslima.com.br
    Me siga no Twitter: @andrealveslima

• Marked as answer by A.Kelany Tuesday, April 4, 2017 4:29 PM
    Tuesday, April 4, 2017 2:01 PM
  • Thank you Mr. you really saved my time, I sit almost three days trying to figure out what causes of this problem, but I failed as well...

But you helped too much after disabling all ZH files, I can now install the application successfully.

Friday, June 30, 2017 8:06 AM
  • Thnks boss
    Friday, August 18, 2017 1:48 AM
  • Muchas Gracias Me ayudo

Jonathan Davis Preguntas

Monday, April 9, 2018 5:32 AM
  • Great. it worked for me. 

Thank you for posting it.

Keywords:

Clickonce

deployment

visual studio 2017