Open file like SkyDrive RRS feed

• Question

• In my app I have to download a file and give a possibility to open it (just like in SkyDrive). I can see, the SkyDrive app has got a nice feature. Whenever you open a file and edit it, when you want to save it, the file will be 'saved as', so that you will have to pick a directory to save it to.

For now in my app I save those files in Local Storage and whenever the user edits the file and saves it, its overwriten. What could I do to make it be like SkyDrive?
    Thanks for any suggestions.
    Friday, May 17, 2013 10:21 AM

Answers

• Example of *.txt file:

User opens it via SkyDrive Windows Store app.

It opens with default system program, like notepad. Now, when User edits it and he wants to save it, he will be asked to save as.

Actually, because it does not depend on SkyDrive app, Now I can see the reason of this behavior is that SkyDrive saves files in system's Temporary directory. It's the same behavior as with webbrowsers.

• Marked as answer by Józef Karton Saturday, May 18, 2013 12:23 AM
    Saturday, May 18, 2013 12:23 AM

All replies

• When the user "Opens" the file, where does it Open? In the Windows Store app itself or some other app - like Notepad? For example, if you download a .txt file and the user opens the file, where does it open? In Notepad?

Where in the SkyDrive App are you seeing the "Save As" feature?

Thanks,

Prashant.

@prashantphadke || Windows Store Developer Solutions #WSDevSol || Want more solutions? See our blog, Windows Store & Phone Developer Solutions

Saturday, May 18, 2013 12:04 AM
  • Example of *.txt file:

User opens it via SkyDrive Windows Store app.

It opens with default system program, like notepad. Now, when User edits it and he wants to save it, he will be asked to save as.

Actually, because it does not depend on SkyDrive app, Now I can see the reason of this behavior is that SkyDrive saves files in system's Temporary directory. It's the same behavior as with webbrowsers.

• Marked as answer by Józef Karton Saturday, May 18, 2013 12:23 AM
    Saturday, May 18, 2013 12:23 AM