This backend version is not supported to design database diagrams or tables. (MS Visual Database Tools) RRS feed

• Question

• User-2071549094 posted

Dear forum members,

I am trying to practice how to create database and table in Ms SQL 2012 management studio and then I got the following message :

===================================

This backend version is not supported to design database diagrams or tables. (MS Visual Database Tools)

------------------------------
    Program Location:

at Microsoft.SqlServer.Management.DataTools.Interop.IDTTableDesignerFactory.NewTable(Object dsRef, Object pServiceProvider)
       at Microsoft.SqlServer.Management.UI.VSIntegration.Editors.TableDesignerNode.CreateDesigner(IDTDocToolFactoryProvider factoryProvider, IVsDataConnection dataConnection)
       at Microsoft.SqlServer.Management.UI.VSIntegration.Editors.VsDataDesignerNode.CreateDesigner()
       at Microsoft.SqlServer.Management.UI.VSIntegration.Editors.VsDataDesignerNode.Open()
       at Microsoft.SqlServer.Management.UI.VSIntegration.Editors.VirtualProject.CreateDesigner(Urn origUrn, DocumentType editorType, DocumentOptions aeOptions, IManagedConnection con, String fileName)
       at Microsoft.SqlServer.Management.UI.VSIntegration.Editors.VirtualProject.Microsoft.SqlServer.Management.UI.VSIntegration.Editors.ISqlVirtualProject.CreateDesigner(Urn origUrn, DocumentType editorType, DocumentOptions aeOptions, IManagedConnection con, String fileName)
       at Microsoft.SqlServer.Management.UI.VSIntegration.Editors.ISqlVirtualProject.CreateDesigner(Urn origUrn, DocumentType editorType, DocumentOptions aeOptions, IManagedConnection con, String fileName)
       at Microsoft.SqlServer.Management.UI.VSIntegration.Editors.VsDocumentMenuItem.CreateDesignerWindow(IManagedConnection mc, DocumentOptions options)

Can someone tells me how to rectify the above problem so that I can create my table....Tks.

Monday, November 21, 2016 1:59 PM

Answers

• User-654786183 posted

Use the SSMS version designed for your database version. You can use the command select @@version to check which version of SQL Server you are actually using.  Update your SSMS to the latest version and try.  You may have the latest version of SQL Server and older version of SSMS.

https://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/mt238290.aspx

• Marked as answer by Anonymous Thursday, October 7, 2021 12:00 AM
    Monday, November 21, 2016 2:22 PM

All replies

• User-654786183 posted

Use the SSMS version designed for your database version. You can use the command select @@version to check which version of SQL Server you are actually using.  Update your SSMS to the latest version and try.  You may have the latest version of SQL Server and older version of SSMS.

https://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/mt238290.aspx

• Marked as answer by Anonymous Thursday, October 7, 2021 12:00 AM
    Monday, November 21, 2016 2:22 PM
  • User-2071549094 posted

Er...thanks...it's working now....so, I thought I can use back the old version but the new SQL2016 has ported all my old database automatically.

Tks.

Thursday, November 24, 2016 1:56 PM