Received "Sqlclient.sqlexception: shutdown is in progress RRS feed

• Question

• Hi guys,

We got this strange looking error when connecting to a SQL Server 2008 Database cluster

Inner Exception : System.Data.SqlClient.SqlException: SHUTDOWN is in progress.

Login failed for user ''DOMAIN\****''.

A severe error occurred on the current command.  The results, if any, should be discarded.

Error: System.Data.SqlClient.SqlException: SHUTDOWN is in progress.

Login failed for user 'DOMAIN\****'. Only administrators may connect at this time.

This happened betweeen a certain time period of 2 minutes and then the DB appears to be normal. We still do not know if there was a problem with the server at that time. Has anyone seen this error before and what could be the reason/way to avoid it happening again.

Faraz
    • Edited by mdfaraz Friday, June 11, 2010 1:26 PM Irrelevant additional function trace deleted
    • Moved by Dan Benediktson Friday, December 10, 2010 6:19 PM Security team happens to own this reason for Login Failure - maybe they can shed more light on the error. (From:SQL Server Data Access)
    Friday, June 11, 2010 4:28 AM

All replies

• Yes, we have exactly the same behaviour - i thought i should post this, even if the initial question is 5 month old:

The Application works fine, then - sometimes - this error occurs, bombing us with exceptions.

After a few minutes everything is normal.

We are running:

- IIS 7

- Windows 2008 R2

- MSSQL 2008

If anyone has a idea regarding this problem, any info would be appreciated!

Regards

Wednesday, December 8, 2010 3:02 PM
  • Still no answer on this?  Isn't this a Microsoft forum?  Where are the Microsoft answers?
    Tuesday, January 4, 2011 7:03 PM
  • I found out that this error relates to a DB Cluster failover. Go to Failover cluster manager and check for cluster events/errors. You should be able to see the exact time when it failed over(even if the message only says 'unexpected failover occurred' :) )

On a side note, can anyone give pointers as to how to write a cluster aware application in .NET. by 'cluster-aware' I mean the application shud somehow know that the DB is failover and wait until the failover is complete and then resume the DB operation.

Thanks

Faraz
    Wednesday, January 5, 2011 3:09 PM
  • Hi,

We are having similar issues but as I understand from following article that issues will come for 5 second (i.e. "blocking period" as mentioned in article below ) before another attempt to database connection. As connection pool gets cleared on any exception it will forward new connection request to live node.

http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/8xx3tyca.aspx

Regards,

Danish

Sunday, March 11, 2012 12:08 PM