none
Why is Visual Studio 2015 creating a folder named VSRemoteControl in my user's temp folder which allows read/write access to Everyone?

Question

• I've recently installed Visual Studio 2015 community edition and have noticed that it occasionally creates a folder named VSRemoteControl in my logged on user's temp  folder (C:\Users\<myusername>\AppData\Local\Temp) which grants full access to "Everyone"

The contents of the fodler contains files which seem to contain telemetry data.

Why is this?

Is this not a security risk allowing a folder to be created to which Everyone is allowed access?

Sunday, December 13, 2015 9:46 AM

Answers

• Hi SteveBee,

I could also get this temp "VSRemoteControl " folder in my VS2015 community Environment.

It is also hard for me to make sure that which actions really generate these files/folders in the temp folder, maybe it is related to the remote debugging tools or others, but my understanding is that they are just the temp folders/files generated by the VS, generally we could clean up/remove them manually, it would not impact our actions.

>>Is this not a security risk allowing a folder to be created to which Everyone is allowed access?

It would have no any risks. At least, I didn't get any issue about it before from myself or other community members.

Best Regards,

Jack

We are trying to better understand customer views on social support experience, so your participation in this interview project would be greatly appreciated if you have time. Thanks for helping make community forums a great place.
    Click HERE to participate the survey.

Tuesday, December 15, 2015 6:48 AM