none
Why can't Microsoft fix the VS Designer to work correctly?

Question

• VS Designer has worked On/Off ever since VS 2010 and continues to be so even upto VS 2017.  This HAS to stop Microsoft, you can't just keep ignoring the major "refresh" problems the designer has when updating controls and/or navigation to an new line the XAML file and the designer does nothing ... even more problematic when moving between TabItems, controls just never become visible.

To go 7 years without addressing this problem is just ridiculous!

Searching the bug database and this problem has been reported 1000's of times and in all cases the response when elevated to an engineer has been "too much risk in changing the designer code as it's very complex" ... say what??  Excuse me, did a Microsoft engineer just say "it's too hard to fix"?

Come on, if I told my CEO that I can't fix a bug in my code because it's too hard, I would be fired and out looking for employment.

This is simply NOT acceptable Microsoft.

Rob.

Friday, March 03, 2017 4:13 PM

All replies

• Hi Rob,

Welcome to the MSDN forum.

Thank you for your feedback and I’m so sorry for this inconvenience.

>>VS Designer has worked On/Off ever since VS 2010 and continues to be so even up to VS 2017.

Recently, some other community members reported this issue in VS 2015 and our colleague already submitted it to the VS Product Team, please check this: Why is VS2015 so slow when editing XAML files? and Erik[MSFT] recommend us to download the VS 2017 RC which already fixed the performance issue, but it looks like VS 2017 RC not behavior like Erik’s expected. Could you please leave a comment in this feedback to reopen it again since it is not fixed in VS 2017 RC? May be Erik need some logs to research this issue and we have not meet this performance issue in our VS 2015 or 2017, it is a hard for us to provide the sufficient steps or logs to help the VS Product Team Engineers to troubleshot this issue, thank for your support.

Meanwhile, I found some tips that may be helpful for you to improve the performance:

1. Open as source code
    Right-click on any .xaml file in your solution explorer and select "Open With…", pick the "Source Code (Text) Editor" and click "Set as Default..".

2. Turn off hardware graphics acceleration to switch to software rendering

Go to Tools-Options and under Environment-General, uncheck the option “Automatically adjust visual experience based on client performance”, then check the option “Enable rich client visual experience”

3. Unable XAML Designer

Go to Tools-Options -> XAML Designer -> General and uncheck Enable XAML Designer (requires restart of Visual Studio)

Best regards,

Sara

MSDN Community Support
    Please remember to click "Mark as Answer" the responses that resolved your issue, and to click "Unmark as Answer" if not. This can be beneficial to other community members reading this thread. If you have any compliments or complaints to MSDN Support, feel free to contact MSDNFSF@microsoft.com.

Monday, March 06, 2017 5:52 AM
  • Hi Sara,

This is the same response I get every time I bring this issue up ... "the next version of VS xxxx fixes the problem" ... but it doesn't?

But #3 of your suggestion makes no sense, I need the designer active as it helps speed up my development, and you suggest I disable it?  What's the point in having features in VS if Microsoft just suggests turning them off??

The steps for replication are simple, create a VERY large web solution with 30 projects in the solution and 1000 source code files (about 750,000 lines of code total) in your language of choice, create a App.xaml with about 6000 lines of code that is referenced by xaml pages, have about 100 web pages/xaml files.  

7 years and no one at Microsoft is willing to actually put VS thru large project configuration for performance testing??  This just seems bizarre to me given the wealth of resources Microsoft have available.  Even in my much smaller company we do performance/load testing of the code we write to see if our design/solution is acceptable ... if not we make changes/adjustments to get the performance acceptable.

If Microsoft doesn't care about fixing a 7 year old problem in their main development tools (VS), why should developers like myself go the Microsoft route?  We'll just recommend other development platform solutions to those funding these projects.

I have high end hardware 5960X 32GB RAM M.2's and SSDs ... VS 2015, 2017 still VERY slow.

Rob

Thursday, March 09, 2017 4:17 PM
  • Hi Rob,

Thank you for your feedback of the VS 2017, I will invite a senior engineer to continue researching this issue, please pay attention to waiting for a while, thanks for your understanding :)

Best regards,

Sara 

MSDN Community Support
    Please remember to click "Mark as Answer" the responses that resolved your issue, and to click "Unmark as Answer" if not. This can be beneficial to other community members reading this thread. If you have any compliments or complaints to MSDN Support, feel free to contact MSDNFSF@microsoft.com.

Friday, March 10, 2017 5:35 AM