none
Kinect double click RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

I'm interested in Kinect double click for my thesis. I have found only one click implementations on the forum page, but not double click. Can you help me for this topic or any suggestions? Thank you.

Tuesday, January 24, 2012 12:34 PM

All replies

• <This should be a discussion?>

That's the thing here...  *You* develop the movement that defines the double-click.  Where is the single-click thread?

Wednesday, January 25, 2012 12:47 AM
  • The good news is that if no-one here can help you with this question, it's a good thesis topic.
    Clever, witty forum signature.
    Wednesday, January 25, 2012 5:36 AM
  • Double mouse click? if so look at my project here:

http://kinectmultipoint.codeplex.com

Im building a mouse emulator for kinect with a dll file but once i get it into alpha stage i will upload the code for anyone instead of just project members because i dont want anyone to make changes to the source just yet because it can mess with their hardware mouse too according to the wdk guys wisdom (only mouse stealing scenarios)

Note: requires dsf runtime for your computer to be installed to use the dll file and if you try to emulate outside of a multimouse program people will jsut try and steal the system mouse away from you like a normal hardware mouse.

Tell you what add yourself as a project member and i will share my code for my dll file with you (make sure you have vb6 though if not you will need a msdnaa subscription which is good to find it because i dont think dreamspark has it).

Edit: double mouse clicks can be done in input reports with 0 and 1 twice.

I thought about this project for classroom scenarios with multiple people because the smartboard at my educational insitution i work at costs too much and kinect with volume license would allow multiple or single use scenarios.

Follow my project and i will upload the source code today or tommorow (if today probably not till later) for project members and i will  add you as a developer.

Once you eliminate the impossible, whatever remains, no matter how improbable, must be the truth. - "Sherlock holmes" "speak softly and carry a big stick" - theodore roosevelt. Fear leads to anger, anger leads to hate, hate leads to suffering - Yoda

• Proposed as answer by The Thinker Wednesday, January 25, 2012 12:47 PM
    • Edited by The Thinker Wednesday, January 25, 2012 2:22 PM
    Wednesday, January 25, 2012 12:41 PM
  • @gianna6  has your question be answered? Please post back if it has. I can provide source if you wish but im still working on it and ive tryed a vb.net version but havent been able to get all errors ironed out.

It works like this in simple terms:

1. Send  specific person hand x,y coordinates to mouse emulator

2. Mouse emulator picks up x,y coordinates

3. Move the specific mouse in a multimouse program like multipoint and mouse mischief.

My program is a modification  of the kinect mouse program for multiple people allowing it to work in multiple mouse projects which are usually in a school or college type area.

Once you eliminate the impossible, whatever remains, no matter how improbable, must be the truth. - "Sherlock holmes" "speak softly and carry a big stick" - theodore roosevelt. Fear leads to anger, anger leads to hate, hate leads to suffering - Yoda

• Edited by The Thinker Friday, January 27, 2012 3:31 PM
    Friday, January 27, 2012 3:17 PM
  • Hi thinker,

I understand that Do you mean, you want to add me into your kinect mouse curser project? If so, I will be very happy for joining your group. I'm a a computer science master student and I know C# only for two years. A little bit I know VB. I'm trying to do kinect double click in C# WPF. For this I still need some core codes.

Saturday, January 28, 2012 1:08 PM
  • Its not too much different to convert from c# to vb.net so your in luck if thats your language of choice because c# is between vb.net and c++ in terms of usability.

Im working a a dotnet version that i made publicly available the other day. I still cant figure out what im doing wrong anyone willing to help with the project the original vbscript works fine with adding one mouse device but im trying to create a dotnet version

Saturday, January 28, 2012 3:50 PM
  • Can you show the link where you publish your code? We can try to find your error if you want.
    Saturday, January 28, 2012 4:04 PM
  • go to kinectmultipoint.codeplex.com and look for the version of emulator code that says dotnet. Its confusing me because i cleaned out most the code that would cause problems and it gives me this error: class not registered and mscorlib as the source and line 0.

I have a on error block in my code to handle errors that arise so my program doesnt end.

I must have done something wrong. 

• Edited by The Thinker Saturday, January 28, 2012 5:38 PM
    Saturday, January 28, 2012 5:37 PM
  • remember to post back if you find out what was causing the error but if its going to be a long post move it to the codeplex discussions page.

Also, until dsf runtime is allowed to be distributed for commerical purposes the license for it is only for educational and non-commerical purposes.

You could ask wdk team for permission to use for commerical purposes but you would have to have something useful to show them the way microsoft is.

• Edited by The Thinker Sunday, January 29, 2012 8:03 PM
    Sunday, January 29, 2012 8:03 PM
  • Microsoft.Research.kinect and Coding4fun dll files have these events: MouseEventLeftDown,MouseEventAbsolute,MouseEventMove,MouseEventRightDown,MouseEventRightUp.

These is no mouse double click events. How can I do this? Any suggestion will be appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

Monday, January 30, 2012 5:15 PM
  • to compare events to those in my project:

1.mouseleftdown is the same as 0 and mouseleftup is the same as 1 - will trigger regular mode click event.

2. For double click do above twice

Might need modification to the above like switching around 0 and 1 or the events but be sure to contribute to project. For my project you need to have dsf(device simulation framework),Kinect SDK, and be able to understand testgeneric.wsf vbscript to code emulator in vb.net. Trouble is vbscript file moves the mouse so far as my first test but I'm trying to figure out whether dotnet library files with dsf allow items property which would make coding easier

will upload dsf dotnet framework dlls seperately next time im at my computer

• Edited by The Thinker Tuesday, January 31, 2012 1:56 PM
    Monday, January 30, 2012 9:11 PM
  • Heres the only error im having in current updated project for vb.net emulator version:

This is then only code giving me any error and its invalid parameter for the part in bold.

Dim i As Integer

Dim CtrlrDev AsObject 

Dim CtrlrObj As  SoftEHCICtrlr 

CtrlrDev = EnumSimulatedDevices(IID_IDSFBus)

If CtrlrDev Is Nothing

MsgBox("Could not find simulated a EHCI controller. Did you remember to run softehcicfg.exe /install?")

End If

CtrlrObj = CtrlrDev.Object(IID_EHCICtrlrObj) 'this is the part that errors out

Dim RootHubPort As Object  RootHubPort = CtrlrObj.Ports(1)

I will ask the wdk team also about this and make sure im not doing anything wrong with the variable type declarations. But if i need to change the code above and anyone can see where i needed to use a correct type or class i might not have anything else to convert because this is the only piece i see that stands out as needing attention. 

When you install dsf runtime you can copy the reference dlls from the GAC: C:\windows\assembly\. Then go into GAC_32 in command prompt or GAC_64 depending on OS and when in these folders find the dsf.interop,softehci.interop,softusb.interop, and import the type library softhidreceiver.dll from program files\dsf\GenericHid\ using tlbimp.

• Edited by The Thinker Tuesday, January 31, 2012 1:53 PM
    Tuesday, January 31, 2012 1:48 PM
  • @Gianna6:

Why would you want to do double click with Kinect? That would have extremely poor usability. Double clicking is a mouse gesture to trigger specific actions in an interface. Why don't you design an interaction that makes use of the Kinect and what its best at rather than emulating an entirely different input modality?

(In the broader picture, many non-technical people have trouble understanding when they should single click and when they should double click. They often default to double clicking everything, which is one reason why submit forms for credit card check outs and others need to protect against double clicking.)

In the broadest sense, to create a gesture recognizer you need to figure out what states are involved in making the gesture. Keeping in mind my protest above that double clicking with Kinect is a bad idea and a waste of time, here's how you might start.

A single "click" involves these states:

Mouse button up -> mouse button down -> mouse button up

Constraints:

1. Sequence can take any amount of time.
    2. The mouse position may not change beyond a small threshold from the initial position at the down event until the up event

A double click involves these states:

Up -> Down -> Up -> Down

Constraints:

1. Sequence from the first down to the second down must occur with a short period of time (configurable)
    2. The mouse position may not change beyond a small threshold from the initial position at the first down event until the second down event

Theoretically you could implement an equivalent using skeleton tracking with Kinect. You would have to map the positions of one or more joints to the Up and Down equivalent states. For example, you could measure the distance between the right hand joint and the right shoulder joint and when the Z distance is greater than a threshold value, such as 350 mm, consider it a Down state, otherwise Up.

Once you've mapped skeleton joints to states, you'll need to recognize the sequence of states and test the sequence against the constraints of the particular gesture. If a constraint fails, then fail the gesture recognition. Only fire a gesture recognized event if the sequence completes with all of the constraints intact, and then reset the recognizer to allow recognition of additional gestures.

By the way, all of the above, except for skeleton tracking provided by Kinect SDK, is code that you would write, but it really is not that difficult. I could write a double click recognizer for Kinect in about an hour, if you paid me enough money to get over my objections. I don't know what else you're planning to do with your thesis research, but this does not seem to be a sufficiently challenging problem to be the subject of a thesis alone.

I hope you do consider the broader usability of what you're trying to accomplish, and particular if this is for a scholarly thesis, figure out how you might contribute something towards the advancement of Kinect usability rather than emulating something from the past. The steps I outlined above can be applied to any basic gesture recognizer, so I hope this reply is helpful to you (and others) in a broader sense.

Thanks,
    Josh

-- Joshua Blake Microsoft Surface MVP Technical Director, InfoStrat Advanced Technology Group Blog: http://nui.joshland.org Twitter: http://twitter.com/joshblake Natural User Interfaces in .NET Book: http://manning.com/blake
    • Edited by Joshua Blake Wednesday, February 1, 2012 5:50 PM Clarified who I'm replying to
    Wednesday, February 1, 2012 4:25 PM
  • @joshua blake if your talking about me im just trying to implement kinect mouse for multiple people. Double clicking would be possible but usually its user done (hand goes done twice for a double click) with kinect. Also, remember most technical problems are simple user problems like no power and other simple mistakes and i work in a school system so i know that (especially teachers from ky).

@joshua blake I hope you do consider the broader usability of what you're trying to accomplish, and particular if this is for a scholarly thesis, figure out how you might contribute something towards the advancement of Kinect usability rather than emulating something from the past. The steps I outlined above can be applied to any basic gesture recognizer, so I hope this reply is helpful to you (and others) in a broader sense.

If he's helping me im doing something that isnt implemented in kinect mouse or other kinect samples so he is going to have to start anew. Thats why i started my kinect project because they haven't implemented something like it yet so its innovative.

Also, this does exclude cpn mouse, party mouse, and glove pie because i've tryed them and they are not good at emulating mouse like dsf is.

Wednesday, February 1, 2012 5:41 PM
  • @Thinker:

Sorry I was addressing Gianna6 not you. I can see the value of mouse emulation in limited circumstances for controlling existing applications as I believe you're doing, although the usability of that is not great.

I was mostly reacting to the idea that someone would design a new application specifically for Kinect but using mouse-based concepts like double-click as a core interaction. Conceptually that is equivalent to using a mouse to assemble command line interface inputs, or using voice input to move a mouse cursor ("Move up 10 pixels. Click. Move right 200 pixels. Double click.") Using an interaction designed for one modality just doesn't work in a different modality.

Thanks,

Josh

-- Joshua Blake
    Microsoft Surface MVP
    OpenKinect Community Founder
    Technical Director, InfoStrat Advanced Technology Group
    Blog: http://nui.joshland.org
    Twitter: http://twitter.com/joshblake
    Natural User Interfaces in .NET Book: http://manning.com/blake
    Wednesday, February 1, 2012 5:57 PM
  • I know certain things work for certan people. It has a use in my educational setting at the k-12 school system i work at because the teachers use smartboard and the learning curve is small for teachers and children alike for this kinect technology to be implemented in place of it. Although it wont be in any gamea lot it still will end up being an important item in the future when their are small camera versions of kinect but i like the idea of kinect a lot for robotics and educational uses but security wise it only has an infrared sensor which is not tuned settings wise already to the  way the sensors the new security system my work has and so it would be hard to convince anyone in my state about using a kinect system for security because of the way kinect works and its durability to kids pulling it out of the wall  and throw any metal object they find which they do at educational systems if its not mounted correctly and has a protective case.

• Edited by The Thinker Wednesday, February 1, 2012 8:28 PM
    Wednesday, February 1, 2012 8:19 PM
  • hi @Gianna6

look at this topic, many persons have contributed to it

http://social.msdn.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/kinectsdk/thread/877f75fa-d74a-4173-a44d-62c3cf1d3baf

And as someone said already the double click is just: UP,DOWN,UP,DOWN or DOWN,UP,DOWN,UP mouse events, in a given time that is a windows parameter.

you can go on control panel -> mouse, and see there the specific mouse configuration.

Actually in that thread there are some working examples, and if you do the click gesture twice in the given time you will get a double click.

check the thread it might help you since there is a Mouse hook class too.

Thursday, February 2, 2012 10:16 AM
  • Is their anything you would recommend my my multimouse project? I know a windows has to accept WM_INPUT messages in order to do anything with multiple hardware mouse devices.
    Thursday, February 2, 2012 6:08 PM
  • Hi all,

I think about what you suggest me. Now, I will try to apply  Up -> Down -> Up -> Down logic. I will write you again about 4-5 hours later.If I will success or I will have a problem again. Thanks for everything.

Friday, February 3, 2012 8:54 AM
  • Hi, I've tried up->down->up->down logic, but it does not work properly. LeftHand down does not means that double clciking. Do you have some suggestions?Thanks.
     public static void SendMouseInput(int positionX, int positionY, int maxX, int maxY, bool leftDown)
            {
                if (positionX > int.MaxValue)
                    throw new ArgumentOutOfRangeException("positionX");
                if (positionY > int.MaxValue)
                    throw new ArgumentOutOfRangeException("positionY");

Input[] i = new Input[3];

// move the mouse to the position specified
                i[0] = new Input();
                i[0].Type = InputMouse;
                i[0].MouseInput.X = (positionX * 65535) / maxX;
                i[0].MouseInput.Y = (positionY * 65535) / maxY;
                i[0].MouseInput.Flags = MouseEventAbsolute | MouseEventMove;

// determine if we need to send a mouse down or mouse up event
                if (!lastLeftDown && leftDown)
                {
                    i[1] = new Input();
                    i[1].Type = InputMouse;
                    i[1].MouseInput.Flags = MouseEventLeftUp |MouseEventLeftDown| MouseEventLeftUp | MouseEventLeftDown;

}
                else if (lastLeftDown && !leftDown)
                {
                    i[1] = new Input();
                    i[1].Type = InputMouse;
                    i[1].MouseInput.Flags = MouseEventAbsolute;
                }

lastLeftDown = leftDown;

// send it off
                uint result = SendInput(2, i, Marshal.SizeOf(i[0]));
                if (result == 0)
                    throw new Win32Exception(Marshal.GetLastWin32Error());
            }

Friday, February 3, 2012 5:39 PM
  • You can't put all the flags in one time, each event must occur in a separate moment. 

this: 

i[1].MouseInput.Flags = MouseEventLeftUp |MouseEventLeftDown| MouseEventLeftUp | MouseEventLeftDown;

will not work, since 

MouseEventLeftUp |MouseEventLeftDown| MouseEventLeftUp | MouseEventLeftDown MouseEventLeftUp |MouseEventLeftDown

and I think that you can't use one MouseInput.Flags with more than one flag setted.

For the mouse input i use this class: 

http://social.msdn.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/kinectsdk/thread/877f75fa-d74a-4173-a44d-62c3cf1d3baf/#d9373128-5560-472e-8ade-688b5db7907e

you just have to use MouseHook.SendClick() to make the mouse click in it's current location

Friday, February 3, 2012 6:46 PM
  • Thank you, now I can do double click by using MouseHook.SendClick() event. My only problem remains that: when I move my hand in front of the kinect, the mouse cursor on the screen moves a little bit late and never goes to right top of the screen (near the closed page button). How can I get overcome about this problem. My laptop is 2.66GHz. and Win7 and 8GB Ram. I mean my laptop is fast. So, what should I do? Which keywords I should use for searching on google?  Thanks for your comments.

Friday, February 3, 2012 8:20 PM
  • Gianna i got my vb.net emulator part working except i need to make minor code changes and it will fully work except i need to get it to add multiple mouse devices instead of one. I will give you access to use it for your project but if you wish to try to make it multiple mouse device compatible dsfdevices is one type or object i would look into and objects with an item property in dsf help files.

• Edited by The Thinker Tuesday, February 7, 2012 7:13 PM
    Tuesday, February 7, 2012 7:13 PM
  • Gianna if your using the xbox kinect when programming its hard to move into the right/left corners i had the problem too. The kinect mouse sample code is hard to click x's in the corner but is possible in beta 2 a lot more then in beta 1 because of the improved stability and smoothing since beta 1.

if you wish gianna I have a code problem when the emulated device is installed onto computer is says device failed to start in device manager. I think im getting close if anyone wants to help me get it working.

Friday, February 10, 2012 12:31 AM
  • Hi thinker,

I have a little bit porblem with converting codes from VB to C#. I mean if your codes are written in C# then I can try to help you. and send me  a mail. nacves6@yahoo.com.

Otherwise, I'm sorry, I can't be able to help you. Now, I have to learn creating a dll file in C# with kinect mouse. I don't know how can I construct my dll file. Do you have some suggestions? Thanks.

Friday, February 10, 2012 6:05 PM
  • Creating something in c# isnt too hard. VB.NET and c# are not too far from each other thats why theirs so many converters available to convert vb.net to c# and c# to vb.net. Okay just remember this for helping with variables from c# to vb.net:

vb.net: dim variablename as string

variablename = ""

C# version: variablename string;

variablename = "";

I think this will help with dll in c#:

http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/3707x96z(v=vs.80).aspx

You dont use vb.net thats the first language most programmers learn because its a beginner language and c# is not that different from it. But take a look at it in vb.net and its simple source on my projects website but i will send you a copy to email. It shouldn't be that hard to figure out where i went wrong on it but i want to just convert it to vb.net version of vbscript that works on the project page but if you want you can make a c# version or c# conversion of it then do so. I have the vb.net emulator part in a module file (TestEmulator.vb) thats seperate so its easy to convert because you dont have it in the main app.

I would say the variable types (string, integer) are the same in c# because the dlls im using for my project are dotnet files that work from c# or vb.net. So all that you would have to do is install dsf runtime, convert softhidreceiver.dll in C:\Program Files\dsf\GenericHid\  to a dotnet library,and then convert to c# code in which the variable types are still the same.

BTW, if you looked at the c# code for kinect mouse its in a seperate file. C# has no improvements over vb.net with kinect because they are both managed code and use some of the same libraries in managed code but c++ does have speed improvements over both because its closer to the OS (operating system).

Their is a  kinect mouse vb.net sample if thats what you wanting but i can help you convert to c# but vb.net is easier to dechiper and kinect samples on the channel 9 website are in vb.net and c# but c# only has slight improvement in speed over vb.net not much like c++ has.

• Edited by The Thinker Friday, February 10, 2012 8:11 PM
    Friday, February 10, 2012 7:03 PM
  • If you want to talk about converting it to c# here is my email:

jefferycarlson@gmail.com

I only use c# for xbox games and windows phone apps but for windows phone apps i more prefer vb.net too.

I would use c++ for apps im writing for speed before i touch c# on windows because im not afraid to get into coding and im comfortable in coding in a lot of different languages except c# is a language i quite dont want to learn in depth except for xbox programming or xna on the computer.

The kinect mouse part is not the problem the problem is that i have to get the emulator part to work and then i just need to detect which user is which and send the mouse clicks and mouse movement events and do right or left handed people settings.

Im thinking about doing a sign language kinect project after this in which i record sign language symbols and then compare them to the users hand signals and if they match the tts(text to speech) engine says the word. Really im helping someone with it so i can change to another project after kinect multipoint and do something cool.

Rememeber just because you have a masters doesnt mean you shouldn't learn another programming language to be unbiased in the thesis. 

I will help you with the code in c# if you wish but i kept source code simple so as to not stray too much from the vbscript code that its not understandable in vb.net. If you look at it might be a type but here i will upload and change to latest code i have so that you can better help me by uploading to kinect multipoint project page and sending a copy to email. P.S. you make changes to the code you can use it later as you please for another emulation project because the emulator code is reusable so if you get this working with the mouse like the vbscript i could probably take it from their and finish the emulator myself. Its called current mouse emulator project on kinectmultipoint project page. Its easier to convert to vb.net from vbscript then it is to c# thats why its in vb.net but feel free to convert if you wish.

• Edited by The Thinker Friday, February 10, 2012 8:10 PM
    Friday, February 10, 2012 7:16 PM
  • Hi i hope your still looking at these forums i will have a working version of vbscript available for your dissection by end of this week because I figured out how to execute vbscript code in 32-bit and 64-bit (still need to test for 64-bit) and add multiple devices to it.

Try helping me out with the subs everything should go into.

Wednesday, February 22, 2012 8:18 PM
  • Hi Jeffrey,

I'm looking this page very frequency. I want to help you, but I'm only 1,5 year programmer. But, I want to learn very quickly. If you share codes or sent me private mail with codes I want to help to you what I can do.

Thursday, February 23, 2012 2:44 PM
  • i fixed some errors i had but i have a weird error with latest source which i will upload but the seperated kinect and emulator code is working compared to the combined. I have some errors but if i can get invokescript to work properly with parameters then you could try out alpha version if you are still interesed Gianna6.

Once you eliminate the impossible, whatever remains, no matter how improbable, must be the truth. - "Sherlock holmes" "speak softly and carry a big stick" - theodore roosevelt. Fear leads to anger, anger leads to hate, hate leads to suffering - Yoda. Blog - http://jefferycarlsonblog.blogspot.com/

Thursday, May 17, 2012 2:45 PM
  • I have made it work but need to pass values from main kinect code to shell function as paramters of vbscript file as explained on codeplex page docs if you still want to do something like this on the side or experiment with it. Tell me how it went op or update.

Once you eliminate the impossible, whatever remains, no matter how improbable, must be the truth. - "Sherlock holmes" "speak softly and carry a big stick" - theodore roosevelt. Fear leads to anger, anger leads to hate, hate leads to suffering - Yoda. Blog - http://jefferycarlsonblog.blogspot.com/

Wednesday, May 23, 2012 1:25 PM