[SOLVED][Win 7 / VS 2011] Why are suddenly all the visual studio project files hidden? RRS feed

• Question

• Suddenly every single file under a folder /user/documents/visual studio 2010/projects/<folder name> is hidden and only visible when the option to show hidden files under folder options is selected.

When opening the "hidden" solution, all the classes are marked like below:

Can't save the files and can't overwrite em.

Tried copying solutions out of the current directory, but they stay hidden whereever they are.

Any ideas what causing/caused this?

It's not just this one solution, but all the solutions under the specific directory (~20 solutions).

-J2V

• Edited by J2V Sunday, November 13, 2011 10:50 PM solved
    Sunday, November 13, 2011 5:44 PM

Answers

• Hi J2V,

>> When opening the "hidden" solution, all the classes are marked like below:

Generally speaking , if a file doesn’t exist in the project directory. (like : be moved, renamed or deleted) the VS will mark this file like the photo you provided shows.

In this case , I think this issue is caused that you move all your file to OBSOLETE folder, so the VS cannot find these files in the project directory. Please try to move all your files to the project directory back.

Best regards,

Lucy

Lucy Liu [MSFT]
    MSDN Community Support | Feedback to us
    Monday, November 14, 2011 6:07 AM

All replies

• I am still unaware of the cause, but I easily removed the hidden attribute from all the files through command prompt using 'attrib -H -S "Folder Name\*.*" /S /D' command.
    Sunday, November 13, 2011 10:51 PM
  • Hi J2V,

>> When opening the "hidden" solution, all the classes are marked like below:

Generally speaking , if a file doesn’t exist in the project directory. (like : be moved, renamed or deleted) the VS will mark this file like the photo you provided shows.

In this case , I think this issue is caused that you move all your file to OBSOLETE folder, so the VS cannot find these files in the project directory. Please try to move all your files to the project directory back.

Best regards,

Lucy

Lucy Liu [MSFT]
    MSDN Community Support | Feedback to us
    Monday, November 14, 2011 6:07 AM