1x1 Live Tile

Question

• Does Windows 8 support 1x1 Live Tile just like in Windows Phone 7? I just notice that whenever I switch the 2x1 tile to 1x1, it became a static tile instead of live tile.

Is it Developers choice to implement? I hope that this feature will implement on Windows 8 beta release.

Tuesday, December 20, 2011 3:10 PM

All replies

• Look at the following information regarding development of tiles:
    Guidelines and checklist for tiles       
    http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/windows/apps/hh465403

How to choose a tile size

• Use the square size if your app will not use notifications to send updates to the user.
    • Use the square size with badges if your app only supports scenarios around short summary notifications. For instance, a short message service (SMS) app that plans to show only the number of new texts received.
    • Use the square size if your app sends updates that are should not be shown on the Start screen; for instance, a paystub app.
    • Use the wide size only if your app has new and interesting content to display to the user and those notifications are updated frequently (at least weekly). Wide tile content is meant to be fresh and "alive".

Appropriate use of tiles

• Tile designers should attempt to create an appealing tile for their app that presents new, tailored, and engaging content that the user will want to check in the Start screen and that invites them to launch the app.
    • For a suite of apps, create one tile for each unique app in the suite.

Hope this helps to answer your question.

Marilyn
    • Proposed as answer by Irfanfare Wednesday, December 21, 2011 1:40 AM
    Tuesday, December 20, 2011 5:40 PM