powerpivot filter or slice for date ranges RRS feed

• General discussion

• I have created a powerpivot chart using the release version of excel/powerpivot 2010. I have slicers that do exactly what I want, but one important feature is missing - I am unable to filter/slice a date range so that I can chart my data points within a certain time frame and make this accessible to the end user.

Is there a method to allow end users to interact with slicers or something else that will let them specify a date range (start/end)?

I feel like I'm missing something here as time is an important dimension in data analysis and there would seem to be an easy way for the user to filter/slice different time ranges

Thanks for any pointers

Friday, July 2, 2010 9:52 PM

All replies

• I would like one too but you have two options - create a measure and use that or create another table and link a new slicer to that and then link the table to your data.  Jasper tries to describe how to link: http://powerpivotpro.com/2010/06/17/use-slicer-values-in-a-calculation-with-powerpivot-dax/  - it gets a bit complicated you may be able to adapt it.

As for the first suggestion - create a measure, that's my workaround. I've created a measure called CustomDate and I will edit the measure =calculate(sum(your column of choice), datesbetween(date column,start date, end date)).  If you have slicers with dates - remove the filters before adding this measure to ensure a clean view.

The only problem with the measure is that you have to remember to change/select it  when you need it.  

Thursday, July 15, 2010 7:22 PM