none
Localized signature path? RRS feed

• Question

• I need to pick up a signature from Outlook. I know that in an English Outlook the path is
    &Appdata%\Microsoft\Signatures

However, it seems that the folder name is localized, so for example in Swedish it is
    %Appdata%\Microsoft\Signaturer

I need to get a path that works for any language regardless of localization. How can I do this?

Best regards,
    /Gunnar

Wednesday, May 30, 2012 8:51 AM

Answers

• you do not know all possible names in all languages of folder where signature will be placed, so what regex will help?

As for original question - try reading newmailsignature and replymessagesignature from Document.Application.EmailOptions.EmailSignature in outlook and search for files named that way in all direct subfolders of %AppData%\Microsoft. And i think there is a simpler way, but i guess you should ask in word related forum.

You could also try reading HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Office\<VERSION>\Common\General

there is key names Signatures = check out if its value changes with locale.

Wednesday, May 30, 2012 9:39 AM
  • you can read office version from Application.Version. And for why it is related to word - because word handles it - email signature information is exposed on Word's Application object. If you got answer that satisfies you, please mark an answer.
    • Marked as answer by GSyren Wednesday, July 4, 2012 8:04 AM
    Thursday, May 31, 2012 8:55 AM

All replies

• You can try using a Regular expression. Or Try - Catch opening each possible path. (or wait for a reliable answer :)

Wednesday, May 30, 2012 9:29 AM
  • you do not know all possible names in all languages of folder where signature will be placed, so what regex will help?

As for original question - try reading newmailsignature and replymessagesignature from Document.Application.EmailOptions.EmailSignature in outlook and search for files named that way in all direct subfolders of %AppData%\Microsoft. And i think there is a simpler way, but i guess you should ask in word related forum.

You could also try reading HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Office\<VERSION>\Common\General

there is key names Signatures = check out if its value changes with locale.

Wednesday, May 30, 2012 9:39 AM
  • In case anyone else wonders, yes - the key Signatures does indeed seem to hold the localized folder name. Thank you for that. The only rub is that I need to figure out which version of Office is installed, but I guess I can find out that.

Just out of curiosity, why would a word related forum be more appropriate? This has nothing to do with word...

Thursday, May 31, 2012 8:08 AM
  • you can read office version from Application.Version. And for why it is related to word - because word handles it - email signature information is exposed on Word's Application object. If you got answer that satisfies you, please mark an answer.
    • Marked as answer by GSyren Wednesday, July 4, 2012 8:04 AM
    Thursday, May 31, 2012 8:55 AM