none
PowerPivot and Power View - Project Server reporting RRS feed

• Question

• I am investigating the use of Powerpivot and Power View for reporting in Project Server 2013 and using Excel 2013. I have two different but related issues

In my simple example I have a project table and a task table (filtered for key milestones) and I set up a relationship between the tables using ProjectUID.

(1)Power view is aware of the table relationship and so you can create a slicer which filters separate project and task elements. However if I create a pivot tables in an Excel sheet (based on powerpivot data) which includes both projects and tasks there is not the same awareness. Should I be able to create a single pivot merging project and task data from powerpivot datamodel?

(2)I would like to use the ProjectUID in a query filter and pass it to a Power View report. Is this possible?

Thx

Mike

Mike Mahoney

Tuesday, April 2, 2013 7:44 PM

All replies

• I haven't tried and don't have a system available to test with. However a backup solution is to create a View in the reporting db to link the data then hook Excel up to the new View. To make upgrading to future Project Server versions simpler you can even put your custom Views in a separate database.

Rod Gill

The one and only Project VBA Book

Rod Gill Project Management

Tuesday, April 2, 2013 7:52 PM
  • Hi Rod

This is a possibility but does not help me leverage power view and does not adrress the need to use odata connnections with Project Online.

rgds

Mike Mahoney

Wednesday, April 3, 2013 8:56 AM