Can you access a PowerPivot model in SharePoint using Excel 2003? RRS feed

• Question

• As per the title: If i've uploaded a PowerPivot workbook into SharePoint to act as a data source, is it possible to connect to it and browse it using an Excel 2003 client? (i.e. the same way Excel 2003 can connect to SSAS 2005+)

Cheers, James

James Beresford @ www.bimonkey.com
    SSIS / MSBI Consultant in Sydney, Australia
    SSIS ETL Execution Control and Management Framework @ SSIS ETL Framework on Codeplex
    Monday, November 29, 2010 9:25 AM

Answers

• Since you are using Analysis Services in SharePoint integrated mode, then you must have a SSAS instance to stored the PowerPivot database, right? So, could you try to use Pivot Table (2003) to access to that SSAS instance (PowerPivot) directly? But you will get different structure because this is not a traditional SSAS cube.

Hope this helps,

Raymond

Raymond Li - MSFT
    • Marked as answer by BI Monkey Thursday, December 2, 2010 1:02 AM
    Wednesday, December 1, 2010 8:43 AM

All replies

• Since you are using Analysis Services in SharePoint integrated mode, then you must have a SSAS instance to stored the PowerPivot database, right? So, could you try to use Pivot Table (2003) to access to that SSAS instance (PowerPivot) directly? But you will get different structure because this is not a traditional SSAS cube.

Hope this helps,

Raymond

Raymond Li - MSFT
    • Marked as answer by BI Monkey Thursday, December 2, 2010 1:02 AM
    Wednesday, December 1, 2010 8:43 AM
  • James, you should be able to do this for any Analysis Services client application including Excel, by installing the latest OLEDB provider and then simply using the path to the workbook as the server name. 

I do not recommend connecting directly to the AS server in SharePoint, using the URL is a much better option because we may change database names etc when the workbook gets reloaded.

John Hancock

Program Manager Lead, Analysis Services

Thursday, December 2, 2010 9:37 PM