Differential backup files--how long should I keep them? RRS feed

• Question

• Our SQL server administrator had scheduled SQL diferential backup every night since February 2012. The backup files have been stored in a folder on the server which now has the size over 8 GB. All the differential backup files are in this folder. I am thinking we only need them for 30 days (with the full backup available). So can I remove the differential backup files manually?  Thanks!

Tuesday, November 25, 2014 4:39 PM

All replies

• . I am thinking we only need them for 30 days (with the full backup available). So can I remove the differential backup files manually?  Thanks!
    You should not ask this question here how can we tell whether you can remove anything or not. But yes keeping Diff files from 2012 onwards on harddrive is not a good idea. Discuss same with you manager of course you need to to delete and keep files only for a month.

Please mark this reply as answer if it solved your issue or vote as helpful if it helped so that other forum members can benefit from it

My Technet Wiki Article

MVP

Tuesday, November 25, 2014 4:44 PM
  • I agree with Shanky.

It all depends on your retention period. As stated it's for 30 days, I don't think you need to retain the old files. You can delete older than 30 days files.

--Prashanth

Tuesday, November 25, 2014 4:53 PM
  • I apprecicate your replies.  Our admin knows less than I so I just want to get a general idea by asking here.
    Tuesday, November 25, 2014 9:29 PM
  • I apprecicate your replies.  Our admin knows less than I so I just want to get a general idea by asking here.

Actually, the persons you need to talk to are the stakeholders. That is, the business people who use the data.

Shanky was right on the money when he said that this is not the place to ask how long to keep your data. We know nothing about your business.

As for where to store them, 8 GB is not lot of space these days. But a case could be made that they should be stored more safely. (And you are storing copies of you backups off-site, aren't you?)

Erland Sommarskog, SQL Server MVP, esquel@sommarskog.se
    Tuesday, November 25, 2014 10:50 PM