none
How to open an applications Settings.settings file in Visual Studios?

Question

• <p>I am trying to change settings on a program that I have. The user form given to change settings would take way to long for the settings I want to change. So, I am trying to open its Settings.settings file so I can change the settings in the file faster. The problem is when I open the file if just has rows and columns of 2 digit numbers and letters. Anyone have any idea how I can open and edit this file? I tried to post a picture, but for some reason my account is not verified yet.
    Friday, March 25, 2016 8:51 PM

Answers

• Thanks for Viorel's reply.

Hi TeAccountant212,

I try to add a Settings1.settings file into my project and I find that it has two parts, one is Settings1.settings, another is Settings.Designer.cs. Please check whether your settings file is contains these two parts first.

Then please try open this file through right-click -> Open with... -> choose Settings Designer as below image shows.

If still can't open it with designer, please try add a new settings file to make sure whether this problem related to this specific file or all this type of files can't open correctly.

If just this specific file, I suggest you add a new settings file and then move the settings to the new one to make sure it can work.

If all files has this issue, the problem may be related to your Visual Studio. Please try with following steps to troubleshoot this issue.

1. Run Visual Studio in safe mode with "Deven.exe /SafeMode" command to prevents all third-party VSPackages from loading when Visual Studio starts, thus ensuring stable execution.
    2. Reset your Visual Studio through Tools -> Import and Export settings -> Reset all settings.
    3. Repair your Visual Studio from Control Panel -> Programs and Features -> Visual Studio -> Change -> Repair.

Best Regards,
    Weiwei

Monday, March 28, 2016 6:06 AM

All replies

• Do you mean that you do not see the settings that were set programmatically by your program?

Such settings are not saved to Settings.settings file, but to a special file called “User.config”, located in a reserved folder such as “C:\Users\<user>\Local Settings\<application>\...”.

Try finding and editing this file manually (with Notepad or Visual Studio). It is an XML.

Friday, March 25, 2016 9:48 PM
  • Thanks for Viorel's reply.

Hi TeAccountant212,

I try to add a Settings1.settings file into my project and I find that it has two parts, one is Settings1.settings, another is Settings.Designer.cs. Please check whether your settings file is contains these two parts first.

Then please try open this file through right-click -> Open with... -> choose Settings Designer as below image shows.

If still can't open it with designer, please try add a new settings file to make sure whether this problem related to this specific file or all this type of files can't open correctly.

If just this specific file, I suggest you add a new settings file and then move the settings to the new one to make sure it can work.

If all files has this issue, the problem may be related to your Visual Studio. Please try with following steps to troubleshoot this issue.

1. Run Visual Studio in safe mode with "Deven.exe /SafeMode" command to prevents all third-party VSPackages from loading when Visual Studio starts, thus ensuring stable execution.
    2. Reset your Visual Studio through Tools -> Import and Export settings -> Reset all settings.
    3. Repair your Visual Studio from Control Panel -> Programs and Features -> Visual Studio -> Change -> Repair.

Best Regards,
    Weiwei

Monday, March 28, 2016 6:06 AM