none
If there is a lot to recognize - eg. Huge Excel file does this mean my VSTO smart tag will also take a long time to finish? RRS feed

• General discussion

• I have implemented VSTO smart tags on Office 2007.  Currently large Excel files are hanging and I just get a spinning cursor?

I am at this stage trying to cut down on the possible issues or problems this should be. First if it is my VSTO addin or not.

My guess is that because these files are so large and there is so much to recognize that Excel is not able to handle it.  I am wondering should I or can I use a different thread? Does the VSTO addin do the recognizing itself on another "background" thread?

Or how can or should I deal with the situation where there is a large file with a lot to recognize.

Tuesday, October 15, 2013 7:53 AM

All replies

• Hi donky73,

Thanks for posting in the MSDN Forum.

>> I am at this stage trying to cut down on the possible issues or problems this should be. First if it is my VSTO addin or not <<

I suggest you to unload the add-in. If the issue still exists, it may be caused by I/O performance. If not, the cause of this issue is the add-in.

>> I am wondering should I or can I use a different thread? Does the VSTO addin do the recognizing itself on another "background" thread? <<

The Office object model is not thread safe, but it is possible to work with multiple threads in an Office solution. Before using multi-threading, I think we should identify the root cause of performance issue. If this issue is cause by I/O performance. I don’t think multi-threading will help a lot.

You can get more information from article below:

Threading Support in Office

Multithreaded Recalculation in Excel

Best regards

Fei

We are trying to better understand customer views on social support experience, so your participation in this interview project would be greatly appreciated if you have time. Thanks for helping make community forums a great place.
    Click HERE to participate the survey.

Thursday, October 17, 2013 6:48 AM
  • Thank you for your generic reply.  I cannot create the error every time which is making it hard.  I now have a feeling it is my addin but not the smart tag part.  As such turning it simply on or off does not really solve my problem. 

But as no body has chimed in to say that reading a large amount of smart tags can cause issues I think I will explore other likely problems. 

Wednesday, October 23, 2013 11:55 AM