VS2010 won't Cancel build or handle custom build step dependencies? RRS feed

• Question

• I'm running into two oddities that are really confusing me.  I'm currently migrating our main solution from 2008 to 2010.  We generate solutions here using an internal tool, so it's possible there's something wrong with the project file, but I'm not seeing it.  I'm using VS2010 SP1.  One of our projects contains hundreds of custom build steps with dependency paths.  When building it though, I run into two serious issues:

1)Each build, several files will decide they need to be built when both their Output and their Additional Dependencies have not changed at all.  Strangely, some of them with even more complicated dependencies have no problem whatsoever and don't exhibit this behavior.  I can't see what is causing it to want to build?  Is there any flag I can pass to get a "Builds because of x?"   I've tried removing the dependencies, changing paths in either to ".\pathname.dtp" and "pathname.dtp" and "c:\absolutepath", removing all other configurations, and recently ItemGroup all steps individually, but none of these are giving me a reliable custom step behavior.  What could I be missing?   Also yes, the input files have not been touched or changed and the output files are ending up where expected/declared and have a later timestamp than the input files.

Constantly builds every time:

<ItemGroup>
        <CustomBuild Include="cdc\dtp\admdtypes.dtpinc">
          <AdditionalInputs Condition="'$(Configuration)|$(Platform)'=='win32_release|Win32'">
          </AdditionalInputs>
          <Outputs Condition="'$(Configuration)|$(Platform)'=='win32_release|Win32'">d:\tras\GeneratedData\GameOutput\win32_release\cdc\dtp\admdtypes.h</Outputs>
          <Message Condition="'$(Configuration)|$(Platform)'=='win32_release|Win32'">DTPHeaderGenerator cdc\dtp\admdtypes.dtpinc GeneratedData\GameOutput\win32_release\cdc\dtp\admdtypes.h -e</Message>
          <Command Condition="'$(Configuration)|$(Platform)'=='win32_release|Win32'">DTPHeaderGenerator cdc\dtp\admdtypes.dtpinc GeneratedData\GameOutput\win32_release\cdc\dtp\admdtypes.h -e</Command>
          <ExcludedFromBuild Condition="'$(Configuration)|$(Platform)'=='win32_release|Xbox 360'">True</ExcludedFromBuild>
        </CustomBuild>
      </ItemGroup>

Also does (Non-simplified):

<ItemGroup>
        <CustomBuild Include="cdc\dtp\admd.dtp">
          <AdditionalInputs Condition="'$(Configuration)|$(Platform)'=='win32_release|Win32'">.\cdc\dtp\admdtypes.dtpinc;.\cdc\dtp\zoneitemref.dtpinc;.\runtime\cdcSys\types.h;.\cdcGameConfig.xml;.\code\dtp\admd.dtp;;.\cdc\runtime\cdcSys\Types.h;</AdditionalInputs>
          <Outputs Condition="'$(Configuration)|$(Platform)'=='win32_release|Win32'">GeneratedData\GameOutput\win32_release\cdc\dtp\admd.h</Outputs>
          <Message Condition="'$(Configuration)|$(Platform)'=='win32_release|Win32'">DTPHeaderGenerator cdc\dtp\admd.dtp GeneratedData\GameOutput\win32_release\cdc\dtp\admd.h -e</Message>
          <Command Condition="'$(Configuration)|$(Platform)'=='win32_release|Win32'">rem Incredibuild_AllowRemote
    DTPHeaderGenerator cdc\dtp\admd.dtp GeneratedData\GameOutput\win32_release\cdc\dtp\admd.h -e</Command>
          <ExcludedFromBuild Condition="'$(Configuration)|$(Platform)'=='win32_release|Xbox 360'">True</ExcludedFromBuild>
        </CustomBuild>
      </ItemGroup>

2)Cancel build might as well not work.  If I hit build, wait 30 seconds and then hit Cancel Build, Visual Studio will completely lock up for up to ten minutes.  Looking, it has an MSBuild sub-process that keeps on churning out custom build calls as if it was never told to cancel.  Killing this works, but I want to know why cancel build won't.  Is there something wrong with custom steps that it doesn't know how to stop building them?  This doesn't happen with our projects with just ClCompile and CLInclude steps.  Does MSBuild not know how to stop building custom build steps?  Is it just creating a giant batch that it can't kill mid-way?  And yes, problem 1 happens even if I don't hit cancel, but wait for the whole project to build and then try what should be a no-op build afterwards.

Could really use some insight here.  What am I missing on desired input that is causing this behavior?

Tuesday, August 2, 2011 7:01 PM

All replies

• If there's some way to print out or get at the Reason something is building, that'd be a great help as well.  Then I could at least backtrack why things that should be fully built are deciding they need to run again.
    Wednesday, August 3, 2011 5:13 PM
  • Hi Philip,

In VS2010, when a C++ application from a previous version of Visual Studio is converted to VS2010, one of the major improvements is moving from the VCBuild based system to the MSBuild based build system. And the project dependencies defined at the solution level are converted to project to project references.

There were a large amount of changes when migrate your project to VS2010, so it is hard to decide which part causes this issue. So I recommend you try to create a new project in VS2010.

I’d like to provide this article for you to read: Visual Studio 2010 C++ Project Upgrade Guide.

In addition, We can use /Log (devenv.exe) to log all activity to the log file for troubleshooting. http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ms241272(v=VS.100).aspx

Best regards,

Lucy

Lucy Liu [MSFT]
    MSDN Community Support | Feedback to us
    Get or Request Code Sample from Microsoft
    Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help.

Thursday, August 4, 2011 7:19 AM
  •  

Hi Lucy,

Yes, I am aware of it being on MSBuild.  I'm only having a problem with the custom step builds in the MSBuild environment.

I created a fresh 360 project, removed all but one config and added two example custom steps to it with their correct dependent files.  Their outputs both show up correctly, but it will always build the cdc\dtp\ADMDTypes.dtpinc file every time build is pressed,.  They both have pretty simple dependencies and I'm not seeing.  It's very consistently reproducible.  The entire project file is below:

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="utf-8"?>
    <Project DefaultTargets="Build" ToolsVersion="4.0" xmlns="http://schemas.microsoft.com/developer/msbuild/2003">
      <ItemGroup Label="ProjectConfigurations">
        <ProjectConfiguration Include="Debug|Xbox 360">
          <Configuration>Debug</Configuration>
          <Platform>Xbox 360</Platform>
        </ProjectConfiguration>
      </ItemGroup>
      <ItemGroup>
        <CustomBuild Include="cdc\dtp\ADMD.dtp">
          <FileType>Document</FileType>
          <Command Condition="'$(Configuration)|$(Platform)'=='Debug|Xbox 360'">DTPHeaderGenerator cdc\dtp\admd.dtp GeneratedData\GameOutput\xenon_release\cdc\dtp\admd.h -e</Command>
          <Outputs Condition="'$(Configuration)|$(Platform)'=='Debug|Xbox 360'">GeneratedData\GameOutput\xenon_release\cdc\dtp\admd.h</Outputs>
          <AdditionalInputs Condition="'$(Configuration)|$(Platform)'=='Debug|Xbox 360'">cdc\dtp\admdtypes.dtpinc;cdc\dtp\zoneitemref.dtpinc;cdcGameConfig.xml;code\dtp\admd.dtp;cdc\runtime\cdcSys\Types.h</AdditionalInputs>
        </CustomBuild>
        <CustomBuild Include="cdc\dtp\ADMDTypes.dtpinc">
          <FileType>Document</FileType>
          <Command Condition="'$(Configuration)|$(Platform)'=='Debug|Xbox 360'">DTPHeaderGenerator cdc\dtp\admdtypes.dtpinc GeneratedData\GameOutput\xenon_release\cdc\dtp\admdtypes.h -e</Command>
          <Outputs Condition="'$(Configuration)|$(Platform)'=='Debug|Xbox 360'">GeneratedData\GameOutput\xenon_release\cdc\dtp\admdtypes.h</Outputs>
          <AdditionalInputs Condition="'$(Configuration)|$(Platform)'=='Debug|Xbox 360'">runtime\cdcSys\types.h;cdcGameConfig.xml</AdditionalInputs>
        </CustomBuild>
      </ItemGroup>
      <PropertyGroup Label="Globals">
        <ProjectGuid>{5AC4D8F5-9B69-497E-84B1-6A3985778B52}</ProjectGuid>
        <Keyword>Xbox360Proj</Keyword>
      </PropertyGroup>
      <Import Project="$(VCTargetsPath)\Microsoft.Cpp.Default.props" />
      <PropertyGroup Condition="'$(Configuration)|$(Platform)'=='Debug|Xbox 360'" Label="Configuration">
        <ConfigurationType>Application</ConfigurationType>
        <CharacterSet>MultiByte</CharacterSet>
        <BuildLogFile>$(IntDir)BuildLog.txta</BuildLogFile>
        <PlatformToolset>2010-01</PlatformToolset>
        <WholeProgramOptimization>false</WholeProgramOptimization>
      </PropertyGroup>
      <Import Project="$(VCTargetsPath)\Microsoft.Cpp.props" />
      <ImportGroup Label="ExtensionSettings">
      </ImportGroup>
      <PropertyGroup Label="UserMacros" />
      <Import Project="$(VCTargetsPath)\Microsoft.Cpp.targets" />
      <ImportGroup Label="ExtensionTargets">
      </ImportGroup>
    </Project>

I've also with this ran with /Log, but it doesn't produce any errors in the ActivityLog file or seem to have any statements regarding the build.  I don't see a way to attach the file.  I found a diagnostics mode, and looking through it...  I still don't see a reason it built.  just that it should build and then it doing so.  Attached all of the custom build step section of that.  I'm not seeing enough information there to see why it decides it should build.

1>Target "SelectCustomBuild: (TargetId:19)" in file "C:\Program Files (x86)\MSBuild\Microsoft.Cpp\v4.0\Microsoft.CppBuild.targets" from project "D:\tras\test360.vcxproj" (target "CustomBuild" depends on it):
    1>Done building target "SelectCustomBuild" in project "test360.vcxproj".: (TargetId:19)
    1>Target "ComputeCustomBuildOutput: (TargetId:20)" in file "C:\Program Files (x86)\MSBuild\Microsoft.Cpp\v4.0\Microsoft.CppBuild.targets" from project "D:\tras\test360.vcxproj" (target "CustomBuild" depends on it):
    1>Task "MakeDir" (TaskId:13)
    1>Done executing task "MakeDir". (TaskId:13)
    1>Done building target "ComputeCustomBuildOutput" in project "test360.vcxproj".: (TargetId:20)
    1>Target "CustomBuild: (TargetId:21)" in file "C:\Program Files (x86)\MSBuild\Microsoft.Cpp\v4.0\Microsoft.CppCommon.targets" from project "D:\tras\test360.vcxproj" (target "BuildGenerateSources" depends on it):
    1>Using "CustomBuild" task from assembly "Microsoft.Build.CppTasks.Common, Version=4.0.0.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=b03f5f7f11d50a3a".
    1>Task "CustomBuild" (TaskId:14)
    1>  Write Tracking Logs: (TaskId:14)
    1>      Debug\custombuild.write.1.tlog (TaskId:14)
    1>  Read Tracking Logs: (TaskId:14)
    1>      Debug\custombuild.read.1.tlog (TaskId:14)
    1>  Outputs for D:\TRAS\CDC\DTP\ADMD.DTP|D:\TRAS\CDC\DTP\ADMDTYPES.DTPINC: (TaskId:14)
    1>      D:\TRAS\GENERATEDDATA\GAMEOUTPUT\XENON_RELEASE\CDC\DTP\ADMD.H (TaskId:14)
    1>      D:\TRAS\GENERATEDDATA\GAMEOUTPUT\XENON_RELEASE\CDC\DTP\ADMDTYPES.H (TaskId:14)
    1>  cdc\dtp\ADMDTypes.dtpinc will be compiled. (TaskId:14)
    1>  DTPHeaderGenerator cdc\dtp\admdtypes.dtpinc GeneratedData\GameOutput\xenon_release\cdc\dtp\admdtypes.h -e (TaskId:14)
    1>  Performing Custom Build Tools (TaskId:14)
    1>     Generation successful: 0 errors, 0 warnings (TaskId:14)
    1>Done executing task "CustomBuild". (TaskId:14)
    1>Done building target "CustomBuild" in project "test360.vcxproj".: (TargetId:21)

Is there anything else I can do to get information on why MSBuild is doing this?  These files generate stuff used later in the build, so having them spuriously deciding to build is a disaster for incremental builds.

Thursday, August 4, 2011 8:44 PM
  • Hi Philip,

We’re doing research on this issue. It might take some time before we get back to you.

Thank you for your understanding!

Best regards,

Lucy

Lucy Liu [MSFT]
    MSDN Community Support | Feedback to us
    Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help.

Friday, August 5, 2011 8:23 AM
  • Understood.  I'll keep an eye out for a response.
    Tuesday, August 9, 2011 5:18 PM
  • Hi Philip,

Accoridng to the logs, it didn't provide more information and just recorded the custom build is invoked by "BuildGenerateSources depends on it". So Have you checked the log "Debug\custombuild.write.1.tlog" as mentioned?

And also change MSBuild project build log file verbosity to Detailed to find more clues. (in the Tools menu, click Options. In the Options dialog box, click the Projects and Solutions node and then click the Build and Run node).

Useful Reference http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/b0bktkzs.aspx

Tracy

Tracy Yu [MSFT]
    MSDN Online Support | Feedback to us

Sunday, August 14, 2011 2:53 AM
  • Huh, that was unpleasant, it suddenly erased my response.

Anyhow, hey Tracy, here's the custombuild.write.1.tlog, nothing seems particularly strange at all about it to me.  Both the output files are newer than the input files.

^D:\TRAS\CDC\DTP\ADMD.DTP
    D:\TRAS\GENERATEDDATA\GAMEOUTPUT\XENON_RELEASE\CDC\DTP\ADMD.H
    ^D:\TRAS\CDC\DTP\ADMDTYPES.DTPINC
    D:\TRAS\GENERATEDDATA\GAMEOUTPUT\XENON_RELEASE\CDC\DTP\ADMDTYPES.H

Here's the timing data on that (Modification time):

^D:\TRAS\CDC\DTP\ADMD.DTP - Wednesday, July 13, 2011, 6:01:09 PM
    D:\TRAS\GENERATEDDATA\GAMEOUTPUT\XENON_RELEASE\CDC\DTP\ADMD.H - Today, August 15, 2011, 2:52:04 PM
    ^D:\TRAS\CDC\DTP\ADMDTYPES.DTPINC - Thursday, August 11, 2011, 3:36:50 PM
    D:\TRAS\GENERATEDDATA\GAMEOUTPUT\XENON_RELEASE\CDC\DTP\ADMDTYPES.H - Today, August 15, 2011, 2:59:41 PM

Here's a whole diagnostics log (I just showed the relevent parts before).  I don't see anything in it that tells me why  it's building, just that 1>  cdc\dtp\ADMDTypes.dtpinc will be compiled. (TaskId:14).  Am I missing something?

Actually, I can't seem to post that.  It's too long, and it gets auto killed.  Here from the top to after the problem, stripping the environment variable section:

1>
    1>Building with tools version "4.0".
    1>Target "_CheckForInvalidConfigurationAndPlatform: (TargetId:2)" in file "C:\WINDOWS\Microsoft.NET\Framework\v4.0.30319\Microsoft.Common.Targets" from project "D:\tras\test360.vcxproj" (entry point):
    1>Task "Error" skipped, due to false condition; ( '$(_InvalidConfigurationError)' == 'true' ) was evaluated as ( '' == 'true' ).
    1>Task "Warning" skipped, due to false condition; ( '$(_InvalidConfigurationWarning)' == 'true' ) was evaluated as ( '' == 'true' ).
    1>Using "Message" task from assembly "Microsoft.Build.Tasks.v4.0, Version=4.0.0.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=b03f5f7f11d50a3a".
    1>Task "Message" (TaskId:2)
    1>  Configuration=Debug (TaskId:2)
    1>Done executing task "Message". (TaskId:2)
    1>Task "Message" (TaskId:3)
    1>  Platform=Xbox 360 (TaskId:3)
    1>Done executing task "Message". (TaskId:3)
    1>Task "Error" skipped, due to false condition; ('$(OutDir)' != '' and !HasTrailingSlash('$(OutDir)')) was evaluated as ('D:\tras\Debug\' != '' and !HasTrailingSlash('D:\tras\Debug\')).
    1>Task "Error" skipped, due to false condition; ('$(BaseIntermediateOutputPath)' != '' and !HasTrailingSlash('$(BaseIntermediateOutputPath)')) was evaluated as ('obj\' != '' and !HasTrailingSlash('obj\')).
    1>Task "Error" skipped, due to false condition; ('$(IntermediateOutputPath)' != '' and !HasTrailingSlash('$(IntermediateOutputPath)')) was evaluated as ('Debug\' != '' and !HasTrailingSlash('Debug\')).
    1>Done building target "_CheckForInvalidConfigurationAndPlatform" in project "test360.vcxproj".: (TargetId:2)
    1>Target "_DetermineManagedStateFromCL: (TargetId:3)" in file "C:\Program Files (x86)\MSBuild\Microsoft.Cpp\v4.0\Microsoft.CppBuild.targets" from project "D:\tras\test360.vcxproj" (target "Build" depends on it):
    1>Done building target "_DetermineManagedStateFromCL" in project "test360.vcxproj".: (TargetId:3)
    1>Target "_PrepareForBuild: (TargetId:4)" in file "C:\Program Files (x86)\MSBuild\Microsoft.Cpp\v4.0\Microsoft.BuildSteps.Targets" from project "D:\tras\test360.vcxproj" (target "Build" depends on it):
    1>Done building target "_PrepareForBuild" in project "test360.vcxproj".: (TargetId:4)
    1>Target "SetBuildDefaultEnvironmentVariables: (TargetId:5)" in file "C:\Program Files (x86)\MSBuild\Microsoft.Cpp\v4.0\Microsoft.Cpp.targets" from project "D:\tras\test360.vcxproj" (target "Build" depends on it):
    1>Using "SetEnv" task from assembly "Microsoft.Build.CppTasks.Common, Version=4.0.0.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=b03f5f7f11d50a3a".
    1>Task "SetEnv" (TaskId:4)
    1>  PATH=;C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Xbox 360 SDK\bin\win32;C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft SDKs\Windows\v7.0A\\bin\NETFX 4.0 Tools;C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft SDKs\Windows\v7.0A\\bin;C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Visual Studio 10.0\Common7\Tools\bin;C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Visual Studio 10.0\Common7\tools;C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Visual Studio 10.0\Common7\ide;C:\Program Files (x86)\HTML Help Workshop;bin;C:\WINDOWS\Microsoft.NET\Framework\v4.0.30319;C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Visual Studio 10.0\;C:\WINDOWS\SysWow64;;d:\tras\cdc\3rdparty\FMOD_Ex\win32\tools\fsbanklib;d:\tras\cdc\3rdparty\libxslt\bin;d:\tras\cdc\3rdparty\doxygen\bin;d:\tras\cdc\3rdparty\Graphviz2.18\bin;d:\tras\cdc\3rdparty\qhull-2003.1;d:\tras\code\bin;d:\tras\cdc\bin\library;d:\tras\cdc\bin;d:\tras\cdc\3rdparty\bin;d:\tras\cdc\3rdparty\python_2.6.1;d:\tras\cdc\3rdparty\Xenon_SDK\bin\win32;d:\tras\cdc\3rdparty\PS3_SDK\usr\local\cell\host-win32\bin;d:\tras\cdc\3rdparty\PS3_SDK\usr\local\cell\host-win32\ppu\bin;d:\tras\cdc\3rdparty\PS3_SDK\usr\local\cell\host-win32\spu\bin;d:\tras\cdc\3rdparty\PS3_SDK\usr\local\cell\host-win32\cg\bin;C:\Program Files (x86)\Autodesk\Maya2011\bin;C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Visual Studio 10.0\Common7\IDE;C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Visual Studio 10.0\VC\BIN;C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Visual Studio 10.0\Common7\Tools;C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Visual Studio 10.0\Common7\Tools\bin;C:\Program Files (x86)\SCE\Common\SN-DBS\bin;C:\Program Files (x86)\SN Systems\Common\VSI\bin;C:\Program Files (x86)\OMake\bin\;C:\Program Files (x86)\SN Systems\PS3\bin;C:\Program Files (x86)\Autodesk\Maya2009\bin;C:\Perl\site\bin;C:\Perl\bin;C:\WINDOWS\system32;C:\WINDOWS;C:\WINDOWS\System32\Wbem;C:\Program Files\Intel\DMIX;C:\Program Files (x86)\Perforce;C:\Program Files (x86)\Common Files\Adobe\AGL;c:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft SQL Server\90\Tools\binn\;C:\Program Files (x86)\Common Files\DivX Shared\;C:\Program Files\Perforce;C:\Program Files (x86)\Xoreax\IncrediBuild;C:\Program Files (x86)\Autodesk\Backburner\;C:\Program Files (x86)\QuickTime\QTSystem\;C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft SQL Server\100\Tools\Binn\;C:\Program Files\Microsoft SQL Server\100\Tools\Binn\;C:\Program Files\Microsoft SQL Server\100\DTS\Binn\;C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft SQL Server\100\Tools\Binn\VSShell\Common7\IDE\;C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft SQL Server\100\DTS\Binn\;C:\WINDOWS\system32\WindowsPowerShell\v1.0;;d:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Xbox 360 SDK\bin\win32;d:\tras\code\bin\scripts\ruby;d:\tras\code\bin\scripts\awk;d:\tras\cdc\3rdparty\GnuWin32\bin;d:\tras\cdc\3rdparty\Ruby_1.8\bin; (TaskId:4)
    1>Done executing task "SetEnv". (TaskId:4)
    1>Task "SetEnv" skipped, due to false condition; ('$(_IsNativeEnvironment)' == 'true') was evaluated as ('' == 'true').
    1>Task "SetEnv" (TaskId:5)
    1>  LIB=;C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Xbox 360 SDK\lib\xbox; (TaskId:5)
    1>Done executing task "SetEnv". (TaskId:5)
    1>Task "SetEnv" (TaskId:6)
    1>  LIBPATH=C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Visual Studio 10.0\VC\atlmfc\lib;C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Visual Studio 10.0\VC\lib (TaskId:6)
    1>Done executing task "SetEnv". (TaskId:6)
    1>Task "SetEnv" (TaskId:7)
    1>  INCLUDE=;C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Xbox 360 SDK\include\xbox; (TaskId:7)
    1>Done executing task "SetEnv". (TaskId:7)
    1>Done building target "SetBuildDefaultEnvironmentVariables" in project "test360.vcxproj".: (TargetId:5)
    1>Target "SetUserMacroEnvironmentVariables" skipped, due to false condition; ('@(BuildMacro)' != '') was evaluated as ('' != '').
    1>Target "BeforeResolveReferences: (TargetId:6)" in file "C:\WINDOWS\Microsoft.NET\Framework\v4.0.30319\Microsoft.Common.Targets" from project "D:\tras\test360.vcxproj" (target "ResolveReferences" depends on it):
    1>Done building target "BeforeResolveReferences" in project "test360.vcxproj".: (TargetId:6)
    1>Target "AssignProjectConfiguration" skipped, due to false condition; ('@(ProjectReference)'!='') was evaluated as (''!='').
    1>Target "AssignProjectConfiguration" skipped, due to false condition; ('@(ProjectReference)'!='') was evaluated as (''!='').
    1>Target "_SplitProjectReferencesByFileExistence: (TargetId:7)" in file "C:\WINDOWS\Microsoft.NET\Framework\v4.0.30319\Microsoft.Common.Targets" from project "D:\tras\test360.vcxproj" (target "ResolveProjectReferences" depends on it):
    1>Task "ResolveNonMSBuildProjectOutput" skipped, due to false condition; ('$(BuildingInsideVisualStudio)'=='true' and '@(ProjectReferenceWithConfiguration)'!='') was evaluated as ('true'=='true' and ''!='').
    1>Done building target "_SplitProjectReferencesByFileExistence" in project "test360.vcxproj".: (TargetId:7)
    1>Target "_RemoveNameMetadataFromProjectReferenceItems" skipped, due to false condition; ('@(ProjectReference)'!='') was evaluated as (''!='').
    1>Target "ResolveProjectReferences: (TargetId:8)" in file "C:\WINDOWS\Microsoft.NET\Framework\v4.0.30319\Microsoft.Common.Targets" from project "D:\tras\test360.vcxproj" (target "ResolveReferences" depends on it):
    1>Task "MSBuild" skipped, due to false condition; ('%(_MSBuildProjectReferenceExistent.BuildReference)' == 'true' and '@(ProjectReferenceWithConfiguration)' != '' and ('$(BuildingInsideVisualStudio)' == 'true' or '$(BuildProjectReferences)' != 'true') and '@(_MSBuildProjectReferenceExistent)' != '') was evaluated as ('' == 'true' and '' != '' and ('true' == 'true' or 'true' != 'true') and '' != '').
    1>Task "MSBuild" skipped, due to false condition; ('%(_MSBuildProjectReferenceExistent.BuildReference)' == 'true' and '@(ProjectReferenceWithConfiguration)' != '' and '$(BuildingInsideVisualStudio)' != 'true' and '$(BuildProjectReferences)' == 'true' and '@(_MSBuildProjectReferenceExistent)' != '') was evaluated as ('' == 'true' and '' != '' and 'true' != 'true' and 'true' == 'true' and '' != '').
    1>Task "MSBuild" skipped, due to false condition; ('%(_MSBuildProjectReferenceExistent.BuildReference)' == 'true' and '@(ProjectReferenceWithConfiguration)' != '' and '$(BuildingProject)' == 'true' and '@(_MSBuildProjectReferenceExistent)' != '') was evaluated as ('' == 'true' and '' != '' and 'true' == 'true' and '' != '').
    1>Task "Warning" skipped, due to false condition; ('@(ProjectReferenceWithConfiguration)' != '' and '@(_MSBuildProjectReferenceNonexistent)' != '') was evaluated as ('' != '' and '' != '').
    1>Done building target "ResolveProjectReferences" in project "test360.vcxproj".: (TargetId:8)
    1>Target "ResolveNativeReferences" skipped, due to false condition; ('@(NativeReference)'!='') was evaluated as (''!='').
    1>Target "ResolveAssemblyReferences" skipped, due to false condition; ('@(Reference)'!='' or '@(_ResolvedProjectReferencePaths)'!='' or '@(_ExplicitReference)' != '') was evaluated as (''!='' or ''!='' or '' != '').
    1>Target "ResolveComReferences" skipped, due to false condition; ('@(COMReference)'!='' or '@(COMFileReference)'!='') was evaluated as (''!='' or ''!='').
    1>Target "AfterResolveReferences: (TargetId:9)" in file "C:\WINDOWS\Microsoft.NET\Framework\v4.0.30319\Microsoft.Common.Targets" from project "D:\tras\test360.vcxproj" (target "ResolveReferences" depends on it):
    1>Done building target "AfterResolveReferences" in project "test360.vcxproj".: (TargetId:9)
    1>Target "ResolveTestReferences" skipped, due to false condition; ('@(Shadow)'!='') was evaluated as (''!='').
    1>Target "ResolveReferences: (TargetId:10)" in file "C:\WINDOWS\Microsoft.NET\Framework\v4.0.30319\Microsoft.Common.Targets" from project "D:\tras\test360.vcxproj" (target "Build" depends on it):
    1>Done building target "ResolveReferences" in project "test360.vcxproj".: (TargetId:10)
    1>Target "GetFrameworkPaths: (TargetId:11)" in file "C:\WINDOWS\Microsoft.NET\Framework\v4.0.30319\Microsoft.NETFramework.targets" from project "D:\tras\test360.vcxproj" (target "PrepareForBuild" depends on it):
    1>Done building target "GetFrameworkPaths" in project "test360.vcxproj".: (TargetId:11)
    1>Target "GetWinFXPath" skipped, due to false condition; (('@(Page)' != '' or '@(ApplicationDefinition)' != '' or '@(Resource)' != '') and ('$(GetWinFXNativePath)' != '' or '$(GetWinFXWoWPath)' != '' )) was evaluated as (('' != '' or '' != '' or '' != '') and ('' != '' or '' != '' )).
    1>Target "GetReferenceAssemblyPaths: (TargetId:12)" in file "C:\WINDOWS\Microsoft.NET\Framework\v4.0.30319\Microsoft.Common.Targets" from project "D:\tras\test360.vcxproj" (target "PrepareForBuild" depends on it):
    1>Task "GetReferenceAssemblyPaths" skipped, due to false condition; ('$(TargetFrameworkMoniker)' != '' and ('$(_TargetFrameworkDirectories)' == '' or '$(_FullFrameworkReferenceAssemblyPaths)' == '')) was evaluated as ('.NETFramework,Version=v4.0' != '' and ('C:\Program Files (x86)\Reference Assemblies\Microsoft\Framework\.NETFramework\v4.0' == '' or 'C:\Program Files (x86)\Reference Assemblies\Microsoft\Framework\.NETFramework\v4.0' == '')).
    1>Done building target "GetReferenceAssemblyPaths" in project "test360.vcxproj".: (TargetId:12)
    1>Target "PrepareForBuild: (TargetId:13)" in file "C:\Program Files (x86)\MSBuild\Microsoft.Cpp\v4.0\Microsoft.CppBuild.targets" from project "D:\tras\test360.vcxproj" (target "Build" depends on it):
    1>Task "VCMessage" skipped, due to false condition; ('$(DesignTimeBuild)'!='true' and '$(ConfigurationPlatformExists)' != 'true') was evaluated as (''!='true' and 'true' != 'true').
    1>Using "MakeDir" task from assembly "Microsoft.Build.Tasks.v4.0, Version=4.0.0.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=b03f5f7f11d50a3a".
    1>Task "MakeDir" (TaskId:8)
    1>Done executing task "MakeDir". (TaskId:8)
    1>Task "VCMessage" skipped, due to false condition; ('$(DesignTimeBuild)'!='true' and '$(VCInstallDir)'=='' and '$(UseEnv)' != 'true' and ($(TargetFrameworkVersion)=='v3.5' or $(TargetFrameworkVersion)=='v3.0' or $(TargetFrameworkVersion)=='v2.0' )) was evaluated as (''!='true' and 'C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Visual Studio 10.0\VC\'=='' and '' != 'true' and (v4.0=='v3.5' or v4.0=='v3.0' or v4.0=='v2.0' )).
    1>Task "VCMessage" skipped, due to false condition; ('$(DesignTimeBuild)'!='true' and '$(VCInstallDir)'=='' and '$(UseEnv)' != 'true' and '$(PlatformToolset)'=='v90') was evaluated as (''!='true' and 'C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Visual Studio 10.0\VC\'=='' and '' != 'true' and '2010-01'=='v90').
    1>Task "VCMessage" skipped, due to false condition; ('$(VCInstallDir)'=='' and '$(UseEnv)' != 'true') was evaluated as ('C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Visual Studio 10.0\VC\'=='' and '' != 'true').
    1>Task "VCMessage" skipped, due to false condition; ('$(WindowsSDKDir)'=='' and '$(UseEnv)' != 'true') was evaluated as ('C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft SDKs\Windows\v7.0A\'=='' and '' != 'true').
    1>Task "VCMessage" skipped, due to false condition; ('$(IntDirTrailingSlashWarning)'=='true') was evaluated as (''=='true').
    1>Task "VCMessage" skipped, due to false condition; ('$(OutDirTrailingSlashWarning)'=='true') was evaluated as (''=='true').
    1>Task "MakeDir" (TaskId:9)
    1>Done executing task "MakeDir". (TaskId:9)
    1>Done building target "PrepareForBuild" in project "test360.vcxproj".: (TargetId:13)
    1>Target "PrepareForBuild" skipped. Previously built successfully.
    1>Target "InitializeBuildStatus: (TargetId:14)" in file "C:\Program Files (x86)\MSBuild\Microsoft.Cpp\v4.0\Microsoft.CppBuild.targets" from project "D:\tras\test360.vcxproj" (target "Build" depends on it):
    1>Using "ReadLinesFromFile" task from assembly "Microsoft.Build.Tasks.v4.0, Version=4.0.0.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=b03f5f7f11d50a3a".
    1>Task "ReadLinesFromFile" (TaskId:10)
    1>Done executing task "ReadLinesFromFile". (TaskId:10)
    1>Using "WriteLinesToFile" task from assembly "Microsoft.Build.Tasks.v4.0, Version=4.0.0.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=b03f5f7f11d50a3a".
    1>Task "WriteLinesToFile" (TaskId:11)
    1>Done executing task "WriteLinesToFile". (TaskId:11)
    1>Using "Touch" task from assembly "Microsoft.Build.Tasks.v4.0, Version=4.0.0.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=b03f5f7f11d50a3a".
    1>Task "Touch" (TaskId:12)
    1>  Touching "Debug\test360.unsuccessfulbuild". (TaskId:12)
    1>Done executing task "Touch". (TaskId:12)
    1>Done building target "InitializeBuildStatus" in project "test360.vcxproj".: (TargetId:14)
    1>Target "_SplitProjectReferencesByFileExistence" skipped. Previously built successfully.
    1>Target "BuildGenerateSourcesTraverse: (TargetId:15)" in file "C:\WINDOWS\Microsoft.NET\Framework\v4.0.30319\Microsoft.Common.Targets" from project "D:\tras\test360.vcxproj" (target "BuildGenerateSources" depends on it):
    1>Task "MSBuild" skipped, due to false condition; ('$(BuildPassReferences)' == 'true' and '@(ProjectReferenceWithConfiguration)' != '' and '@(_MSBuildProjectReferenceExistent)' != '' and '%(_MSBuildProjectReferenceExistent.BuildReference)' == 'true') was evaluated as ('' == 'true' and '' != '' and '' != '' and '' == 'true').
    1>Done building target "BuildGenerateSourcesTraverse" in project "test360.vcxproj".: (TargetId:15)
    1>Target "SetBuildDefaultEnvironmentVariables" skipped. Previously built successfully.
    1>Target "SetUserMacroEnvironmentVariables" skipped, due to false condition; ('@(BuildMacro)' != '') was evaluated as ('' != '').
    1>Target "ResolveReferences" skipped. Previously built successfully.
    1>Target "BeforeBuildGenerateSources: (TargetId:16)" in file "C:\Program Files (x86)\MSBuild\Microsoft.Cpp\v4.0\Microsoft.BuildSteps.Targets" from project "D:\tras\test360.vcxproj" (target "BuildGenerateSources" depends on it):
    1>Done building target "BeforeBuildGenerateSources" in project "test360.vcxproj".: (TargetId:16)
    1>Target "PreBuildEvent: (TargetId:17)" in file "C:\Program Files (x86)\MSBuild\Microsoft.Cpp\v4.0\Microsoft.CppCommon.targets" from project "D:\tras\test360.vcxproj" (target "BuildGenerateSources" depends on it):
    1>Task "Message" skipped, due to false condition; ('%(PreBuildEvent.Message)' != '' and '%(PreBuildEvent.Command)' != '') was evaluated as ('' != '' and '' != '').
    1>Task "Exec" skipped, due to false condition; ('%(PreBuildEvent.Command)' != '') was evaluated as ('' != '').
    1>Done building target "PreBuildEvent" in project "test360.vcxproj".: (TargetId:17)
    1>Target "SetBuildDefaultEnvironmentVariables" skipped. Previously built successfully.
    1>Target "_SelectedFiles: (TargetId:18)" in file "C:\Program Files (x86)\MSBuild\Microsoft.Cpp\v4.0\Microsoft.CppBuild.targets" from project "D:\tras\test360.vcxproj" (target "SelectCustomBuild" depends on it):
    1>Done building target "_SelectedFiles" in project "test360.vcxproj".: (TargetId:18)
    1>Target "SelectCustomBuild: (TargetId:19)" in file "C:\Program Files (x86)\MSBuild\Microsoft.Cpp\v4.0\Microsoft.CppBuild.targets" from project "D:\tras\test360.vcxproj" (target "CustomBuild" depends on it):
    1>Done building target "SelectCustomBuild" in project "test360.vcxproj".: (TargetId:19)
    1>Target "ComputeCustomBuildOutput: (TargetId:20)" in file "C:\Program Files (x86)\MSBuild\Microsoft.Cpp\v4.0\Microsoft.CppBuild.targets" from project "D:\tras\test360.vcxproj" (target "CustomBuild" depends on it):
    1>Task "MakeDir" (TaskId:13)
    1>Done executing task "MakeDir". (TaskId:13)
    1>Done building target "ComputeCustomBuildOutput" in project "test360.vcxproj".: (TargetId:20)
    1>Target "CustomBuild: (TargetId:21)" in file "C:\Program Files (x86)\MSBuild\Microsoft.Cpp\v4.0\Microsoft.CppCommon.targets" from project "D:\tras\test360.vcxproj" (target "BuildGenerateSources" depends on it):
    1>Using "CustomBuild" task from assembly "Microsoft.Build.CppTasks.Common, Version=4.0.0.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=b03f5f7f11d50a3a".
    1>Task "CustomBuild" (TaskId:14)
    1>  Write Tracking Logs: (TaskId:14)
    1>      Debug\custombuild.write.1.tlog (TaskId:14)
    1>  Read Tracking Logs: (TaskId:14)
    1>      Debug\custombuild.read.1.tlog (TaskId:14)
    1>  Outputs for D:\TRAS\CDC\DTP\ADMD.DTP|D:\TRAS\CDC\DTP\ADMDTYPES.DTPINC: (TaskId:14)
    1>      D:\TRAS\GENERATEDDATA\GAMEOUTPUT\XENON_RELEASE\CDC\DTP\ADMD.H (TaskId:14)
    1>      D:\TRAS\GENERATEDDATA\GAMEOUTPUT\XENON_RELEASE\CDC\DTP\ADMDTYPES.H (TaskId:14)
    1>  cdc\dtp\ADMDTypes.dtpinc will be compiled. (TaskId:14)
    1>  DTPHeaderGenerator cdc\dtp\admdtypes.dtpinc GeneratedData\GameOutput\xenon_release\cdc\dtp\admdtypes.h -e (TaskId:14)
    1>  Performing Custom Build Tools (TaskId:14)
    1>     Generation successful: 0 errors, 0 warnings (TaskId:14)
    1>Done executing task "CustomBuild". (TaskId:14)
    1>Done building target "CustomBuild" in project "test360.vcxproj".: (TargetId:21)

Monday, August 15, 2011 10:03 PM
  • From a support perspective this is really beyond what we can do here in the forums. If you cannot determine your answer here or on your own, consider opening a support case with us. Visit this link to see the various support options that are available to better meet your needs: http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?id=fh;en-us;offerprophone

Tracy YU[MSFT] MSDN Community Support | Feedback to us Get or Request Code Sample from Microsoft Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help.
    Saturday, November 19, 2011 1:41 PM
  • Is there a fix for the build lockup (issue #2)?

Thanks

Tuesday, December 13, 2011 8:16 PM
  • I have exactly the same problems as reported here.

Was this ever resolved? 

thanks
    Andrew

Wednesday, November 14, 2012 1:00 PM
  • I have not found the build lockup problem to be resolved, but I have found that this is no longer a problem after switching to Windows 7 64 bit even though I am still using VS 2010.
    Wednesday, November 20, 2013 8:47 PM