none
Data Access and Storage Architecture Issues RRS feed

• Question

• My company is developing a GUI application requiring the ability to handle a large number of inserts/updates per second (~1000) into a datatable. Profiling with ANTS, shows our slowdown is in the DataAccess architecture. We're lucky if we can do 50/Sec with a 100% CPU load.

We basically have two tables in a dataset. One table shows all orders, the other shows all fills. Each individual fill updates the order and then is placed in a fills table. There is one grid bound to each table.

I have a few questions concerning the library I hope can be answered.

Is there currently a download available for the library source code? Much like the .NET 2.0 source? Having the source to the 2.0 runtime has been very valuable to our design and helped to increase performance. I feel having the source for Data Access and Storage with really help the community - let alone our application.

How is the data stored in a DataColumn - strongly typed or an Object? If the storage is an Object, why has there not been a design decision to convert to strongly typed storage? Seems obvious since there is a second version of the .NET runtime with generics. There a lot of 3rd Party grids out there based upon the architecture for Data Access and Storage which by my account still is running under a .NET 1.0/1.1 design.

-jd-
    Monday, November 26, 2007 8:19 PM

All replies

• Hi,

50 per second is really slow, can you post some code?  Microsoft will release the source code really soon - they are setting up the web servers.

I agree that they could have made the dataset better in .net 2 such as supporting nullables.  What you are proposing on the other hand is not really possible because all the columns can have a different type. Unless you want to write code like DataRow<int, string, string, DateTime, double, string> myRow = new ...

If you hit the dataset limitation, you can always switch to using entities. The data binding architecture of the .net framework has nothing to do with the dataset but it is based on different interfaces in the ComponentModel namespace.  To understand how it works I recommend the following book:

Data Binding with Windows Forms 2.0: Programming Smart Client Data Applications with .NET
    By Brian Noyes
    Publisher: Addison Wesley Professional
    Pub Date: January 12, 2006
    Print ISBN-10: 0-321-26892-X
    Print ISBN-13: 978-0-321-26892-1
    Pages: 736

Regards,
    Charles
    Sunday, December 2, 2007 6:36 PM