visual studio 'babel' icons RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

I would like to use the icons that appear in Visual Studio to represent modules, types, members, etc (described at http://msdn2.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ftt9czxz.aspx as 'babel' icons) within an application i am developing.

How can i gain access to these icons and what are the licensing arrangements regarding using them within your own application?

thanks in advance,

Colin Combe

Friday, September 29, 2006 10:59 AM

Answers

• Colin,

Visual Studio 2005 does ship with some free icons and images. I'm not sure whether these include the icons you are after.

They are typically installed to: C:\Program Files\Microsoft Visual Studio 8\Common7\VS2005ImageLibrary.

Regards

David

Sunday, October 1, 2006 4:37 PM

All replies

• I don't know about the license agreement, and I don't think you will get a straight answer because noone would really know that...

Here's a great place to start looking for free icons.

http://www.maxpower.ca/free-icons/2006/03/05/

You could also take a look at .net Reflector, cause they use the same icons I believe...

Friday, September 29, 2006 12:00 PM
  • My assumption would be that these fall under the same licensing terms as the rest of the VS SDK.  If the framework itself isn't redistributable, the included icons probably aren't either.  You should be able to view them using a utility which is capable of extracting icons from DLL/EXE files -- IRfanview is my personal favorite for this.

Friday, September 29, 2006 12:51 PM
  • hi,

thanks for the responses,  i realise my post is perhaps a bit off-topic for this forum.

The MSDN web page i referred to in my original post is about encouraging people to use the VS ('babel') icons when they're integrating things with Visual Studio. Does it make a difference if I describe my aims in terms of wishing to integrate with VS?

I currently use Visual Studio Express, is this 'babel package' something I would find in the VS SDK if i had the full version of visual studio?

I thought i read something somewhere that said microsoft were opening up access to it's icons in order to allow developers to make applications with a more consistent look and feel.

cheers,

colin 

Friday, September 29, 2006 3:54 PM
  • I read some article on Microsoft.com that all icons, clip art, pictures used in Microsoft products are property of Microsoft and its illegal to use and redistribute with your products.

I'm really sorry that I dont remember that link because I did not have much interest in that.

Secondly if you want to copy them? its faily simple. There is some command in Context menu at tool bar which show all the icons (used and not used currently) on the tool bar, and there is also another command which makes icon bigger something like Large Icons etc. You have to check it yourself

Just Print Screen, Paste in PhotoShop and Do what you want!!!

Best Regards,

Friday, September 29, 2006 9:16 PM
  • Thats a bit dodgy. Why not just copy the resources then??
    Saturday, September 30, 2006 1:21 AM
  • Forget about my last post, I was assuming you are talkign about icons which are on ToolBar of visual stuido, I dont know the icons you mentioned are listed in ToolBars or not.

The the other thing "Licensing", I dont think we are allowed to use them.

Best Regards,

Saturday, September 30, 2006 6:41 AM
  • Colin,

Visual Studio 2005 does ship with some free icons and images. I'm not sure whether these include the icons you are after.

They are typically installed to: C:\Program Files\Microsoft Visual Studio 8\Common7\VS2005ImageLibrary.

Regards

David

Sunday, October 1, 2006 4:37 PM
  • hi, thanks for feedback. 

no, they are not contained in C:\Program Files\Microsoft Visual Studio 8\Common7\VS2005ImageLibrary.

I think 'Visual Studio Open Tools Platform' is perhaps the product that provides access to the babel icons for the purposes of integrating with VS, but it seems difficult to find out details about it. E.g. how do i buy it, how much does it cost.

Haven't been able to extract the resources from reflector, possibily not using the correct tool but i think it's more likely that reflector doesn't contain them and infact picks them up from somewhere else in the framework? Can anyone confirm or deny this? Or better still give a pointer to where in the .NET framework the the icons exist?

Using ILDASM then Lutz Roeder's resourcer tool (http://www.aisto.com/roeder/dotnet/) seems the best way to extract resources.

cheers,

colin  

Thursday, October 5, 2006 1:05 PM