none
Document flow RRS feed

• Question

• I need few advices on what is best practice for implementing flow of document in SharePoint.

Situation in real life is (in short):

1. Real (paper) document travels from user to one institution.

2. In this institution, it is assigned to a person who works on that document.

3. Then it goes on to a second institution (by mail), another person is assigned to it and he/she changes the document.

4. Inside that second institution document goes between departments to get approvals or changes.

5. It goes back to first institution, is approved and then back to user.

Now, I am interested what is common practice for this scenario. Is it better to keep document in one library, in one folder, and then all users would access to that document in that library (which demands changes on document's permissions) or is it better for document to travel between different libraries as it changes its state?

Monday, June 9, 2014 1:19 PM

Answers

All replies

• Let the document be in same library and version of the document is created at all level. This will work like a workflow where one step is started only once previous is completed.
    as external users are involved, SQL fba can be used here
    Monday, June 9, 2014 2:47 PM
  • You're looking for a complete document management system using SharePoint. Three roles I can assume for this system:

A. Document Author/Owner (combined role or individual)

B. Document reviewer

C. Approvers 

Then you built the system based on these roles plus for tracking update then you've to use version control. What's remaining is what best way to handle this system? I would say SharePoint workflow is more than capable to deliver the result but third party tools can also be useful.

Hope this helps!

Monday, June 9, 2014 6:04 PM
  • Thank you for your answers.

@Asfiti

Yes, I will certainly go with workflow, but, I am interested is it better to use one library or move it from many libraries?

Tuesday, June 10, 2014 7:35 AM
  • One library with version control on plus filtered security permission will do it for you.
    Tuesday, June 10, 2014 4:43 PM