none
Deploying Windows 8.1 application to multiple devices (sideloading)

Question

• Hello Developers

I am searching for this an entire day and decided to ask the pro's. So I have a couple of Windows 8.1 computers from a customer. It is just the standard Windows 8.1, so no pro or enterprise edition. We developed an application for them and need to deploy it to those computers.

First of all, is it possible to deploy our application on a standard Windows 8.1 computer or do we need the pro or enterprise edition to do this? 

What I did so far is create the application package and run the Add-AppDevPackage.ps1 file on a computer. After signing in with the development account the application was succesfully installed. But the development certificate is only valid for 1 month. So I suppose the application will not start after 1 month.

Thanks in advance!

Wednesday, November 27, 2013 3:56 PM

Answers

All replies

• Hi Endare,

Windows 8.1 Enterprise allows you to deploy Windows Store Apps directly when

• the computer is domain-joined
    • the group policy "Allow all trusted applications to install" must be enabled

As you don't have the Enterprise edition, you've to go the other way via a product sideloading key for sideloading (instead of the domain-join). That product sideloading key needs to be activated on each single PC. Then also enable the group policy to allow the install of trusted apps on each PC and install the app on each PC like you did before. That's it.

Find more here: http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/windows/apps/jj657971.aspx

and here: http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/hh852635.aspx

More about Product sideloading keys: http://www.microsoft.com/licensing/activation/existing-customers/product-activation.aspx

Thomas Claudius Huber

"If you can't make your app run faster, make it at least look & feel extremly fast"

My latest app: The "Womanizer" :-)
    twitter: @thomasclaudiush
    homepage: www.thomasclaudiushuber.com
    author of: ultimate Windows Store Apps handbook | ultimate WPF handbook | ultimate Silverlight handbook

Wednesday, November 27, 2013 6:42 PM
  • Hi Thomas

Thanks for your reply. Does sideloading also work on a non Pro version of Windows? It's the standard Windows 8.1 (can I call it Home edition?). The sideloading keys are $30 each but only come in packs of 100 so that's a little expensive if we only have to deploy to 7 machines.

Thanks

Endare

Thursday, November 28, 2013 10:46 AM
  • sideloading only work when domain joined and for non-pro versions you need the sideloading keys. no other solutions for it.

Microsoft Certified Solutions Developer - Windows Store Apps Using C#

Thursday, November 28, 2013 11:42 AM
  • Hi all,

I don't mean to hi-jack this thread but I do have a question regarding this topic.  From what I have read it appears that there isn't any "simple" solution for developers working in the SMB market to deploy line of business applications.  Our typical client will have less than 50 PC's and may only have a handful of users that would use a tablet.  They typically are not on Software Assurance.  As useful as a Windows 8.1 Store app on a tablet could be in some data collection situations it appears that the only option is to put themselves on software assurance and purchase 100 side loading keys or get Windows 8.1 Enterprise that also entails going on Software Assurance.

Is this correct?  Is there any option for a SMB client that does not want to significantly increase their licensing cost to use custom Windows 8.1 Store apps?

Friday, December 6, 2013 8:05 PM