Design guide line for filter implementation

General discussion

• Dear all,

In a winrt application I need to implement a filter. The filter is in place in order to avoid to load all data. So that filter will be the strating point of my app and it has 3 level :

- Category
    - Sub Category 1
    - Sub Category 2
    - Sub Category 3

My design concern is the following :

Does such a filter is better to implement in the application interface Inside the MainPage or is it better to define the filter as a SettingFlyout control ?

thanks for advise

regards

Tuesday, April 14, 2015 8:00 AM

All replies

• Hi wakefun,

I will change the thread to discussion since you are asking for some best practice.

I don't know your scenario for instance where you would call out the filter, and will the filter be re-useable in your app, so I can hardly tell which one is the best.

--James

We are trying to better understand customer views on social support experience, so your participation in this interview project would be greatly appreciated if you have time. Thanks for helping make community forums a great place.
    Click HERE to participate the survey.

Wednesday, April 15, 2015 4:08 AM
  • Hello Jamles

My idea is that the filter will be called from a button in AppBar and yes it is reusable as it can be change at anytime in the app if Customer would like to display Other type of data.

So what would be best paractise for that in term of design and user experience?

regards

serge

Wednesday, April 15, 2015 7:27 AM
  • Hi serge,

Then perhaps the best thing could be put the code in the UserControl and call it whenever you want. I don't think there is some existing doc can for your reference.

If you share the AppBar in every page, then your AppBar should also be a UserControl, write the filter into the AppBar is fine.

--James

We are trying to better understand customer views on social support experience, so your participation in this interview project would be greatly appreciated if you have time. Thanks for helping make community forums a great place.
    Click HERE to participate the survey.

Wednesday, April 15, 2015 7:41 AM
  • Thnaks for your reply.

Yes the filter will be a UserControl and that user control is based on 4 comboBox but my concern is more on the following user action :

Scenario 1 :

- The app bar contain a filter button
    - User press the filter button
    - The filter user control gets display in the middle of my Main application Page

Scenario 2 :

The app bar contain a filter button
    - User press the filter button
    - A custom Flyout Windows appears in similar way as a  Setting app flyout on right side edge
    - The custom Flyout contains the Filter control

Which approach is best ?

I think I find out the answer from this link :

http://social.technet.microsoft.com/wiki/contents/articles/22608.windows-8-1-how-to-create-a-filters-control-like-health-fitness-and-food-drink-apps-in-xaml-and-c.aspx

• Edited by wakefun Wednesday, April 15, 2015 8:12 AM
    Wednesday, April 15, 2015 8:06 AM