Support forms authentication? RRS feed

• Question

• User1073881637 posted

Is there a method to implement forms authentication using IIS SEO?  I see it supports BASIC and Windows Auth modules (thanks for adding btw).

Tuesday, March 16, 2010 11:04 PM

All replies

• User-47214744 posted

It is not possible, Forms Authentication depend on Cookies and in the SEO Toolkit we decided to not support cookies since search robots do not support that and could yield false results on the process.

Having said that, if we hear strong feedback about Forms Authentication being an important mechanism to support we could consider implementing it for the next version. Though the setup will probably have to be pretty complicated (techie) where we need to ask you things like what is the authentication cookie, and what is the login URL and what are the POST parameters needed for handling the authentication, of course we could try to infer/discover/etc some of them.

Having said all that... we are not promising anything at this point :O)

Saturday, March 20, 2010 11:06 AM
  • User1073881637 posted

Thanks Carlos for the honest response.  I wasn't aware of the cookie aspect and crawlers.  Sounds like it would be a bit more complicated.  I can see the strategy of having the SEO toolkit modeling after other crawlers.  The site I'm crawling is a Sharepoint site supporting forms authentication.  There are portions accessed anonymously and others are protected by forms authentication.   We use a custom product for searching so having the ability to crawl the end user experience would be helpful.  Mine is one "use case" using SEO toolkit.  If you hear of more demand or need a test case, let me know :))

We started using SEO toolkit (the latest version) and it rocks!

Saturday, March 20, 2010 4:03 PM