none
SQL Server would not connect all of the sudden

Question

• Hi everybody,

Just got an email from my colleague so I need some ideas to help her:

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Out of nowhere today my database quit working.  I had SQL Server Management Studio open, but I wasn’t using it today.  First I noticed ww.dll wouldn’t connect.  Then I noticed SalesEZ wasn’t connecting.

I shut down Management Studio and Tried to connect.  I get this error: (error 258 - the wait operation timed out)

This is all on my computer, so I don’t think it could be a network error.  I’ve stopped and restarted all SQL services.  I’ve rebooted a few times.  Even turned the PC off and back on.  Same error.  Any ideas?

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

For every expert, there is an equal and opposite expert. - Becker's Law

My blog

My TechNet articles

Tuesday, January 24, 2017 10:20 PM

Answers

• I didn't have a chance to work with her today. She solved the problem the following way:

I got it working.  I edited the system32\drivers\etc\hosts file and added my PC name and IP address.  I don’t know why it worked – or why it failed.  But it did.  I’m leaving it alone.

My blog

My TechNet articles

Wednesday, January 25, 2017 6:08 PM

All replies

• any entries in errorlog file upon starting SQL services?

not sure what SQL version it is, but check https://social.msdn.microsoft.com/Forums/sqlserver/en-US/a59f7c7d-0d92-4a10-8ae1-66836ed62ea6/unable-to-connect-to-remote-sql-server?forum=sqlgetstarted for ideas

Tuesday, January 24, 2017 10:31 PM
  • Hello Naomi,

Let me know if my understanding is correct. This is happening only with SSMS. Could you try to connect to the SQL instance using an ODBC DSN to test only?

Any Visual Studio update installed recently?

If the ODBC connection test worked, could you try using the latest version of SSMS or reinstall it.

https://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/mt238290.aspx

Hope this helps.

Regards,

Alberto Morillo
    SQLCoffee.com

Tuesday, January 24, 2017 10:34 PM
  • Which Error Log we're supposed to look at? I also asked her to check the logs, she said she didn't find anything.

Her SSMS is 2016, so I assume it must be SQL 2016 version.

My blog

My TechNet articles

Tuesday, January 24, 2017 10:34 PM
  • Thanks, Alberto. We'll see if she will be able to resolve it today. I'm leaving soon, I plan to look into the issue with her tomorrow.

My blog

My TechNet articles

Tuesday, January 24, 2017 10:42 PM
  • Hello Naomi,

You should be able to find SQL Server Error Log on the following location:

Program Files\Microsoft SQL Server\MSSQL.n\MSSQL\LOG\ERRORLOG

https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ms187885(v=sql.130).aspx

Try the ODBC test.

Hope this helps.

Regards,

Alberto Morillo
    SQLCoffee.com

Tuesday, January 24, 2017 10:43 PM
  • I didn't have a chance to work with her today. She solved the problem the following way:

I got it working.  I edited the system32\drivers\etc\hosts file and added my PC name and IP address.  I don’t know why it worked – or why it failed.  But it did.  I’m leaving it alone.

My blog

My TechNet articles

Wednesday, January 25, 2017 6:08 PM