Suitable webhost for Club Starter Kit? RRS feed

• Question

• User1361854258 posted

I'm a little confused. I think the Club Starter Kit is a great idea; providing an asp.NET 2.0 implementation of exactly the kind of functionality a small club or organization might need is a great step towards promoting .NET outside of the enterprise level.

However, in order to use the dreaded "ASPnetDB.mdf" for security, you need to be running SQL Express; with the posibility of moving up to SQL Server should you so wish.

Now a quick look around the asp.NET 2.0 Hosting Advantage affiliates reveals a handful of companies with the ability to run .NET 2.0 websites. The good majority are looking to charge a minimum of $20 per month for SQL space, if not considerably more. What sort of a small club is prepared to pay $40 a month just for their website?

With this is mind, I have to ask:

Does anyone know a good, .NET 2.0-friendly webhost that can provide SQL Express or SQL Server space (doesn't have to be a lot) for a reasonable price, in the under-$20 per month region?

If not, then does anyone know if there is essentially an MS Access Security Provider out there that could be used instead?

All help is greatfully appreciated. :)

- Ayre

P.S. Some hosts offer MySQL instances; but at this time, I think it would be too much trouble to work with. Most webhosts appear to be using MySQL 4.1, which does not support the stored procedures that seem to form a core part of the ASPnetDB.mdf database.

P.P.S. Hosting.com do offer a beta plan with a SQL Express installation; however, they can be rather slow when it comes to dealing with their customers and furthermore, their pricing post-7th November is into the $40 a month region. (Eek!)

Wednesday, October 19, 2005 4:02 PM

All replies

• User1946081430 posted

Check out dotnetpark.com. I have had extremely good service and no problems with their service.
    http://www.dotnetpark.com/Hostingplans/tabid/52/Default.aspx

Wednesday, October 19, 2005 6:20 PM
  • User-1286131087 posted
    You can also try: www.hosting.com Beta site for $1.00 and www.maximumasp.com for Free.
    Wednesday, October 19, 2005 11:42 PM
  • User-1414430916 posted
    Check the Development Plan at CRYSTALTECH.COM .they support asp.net beta version 2.0  for $3/month. Realy good.!!
    Tuesday, November 1, 2005 7:52 AM
  • User-77974881 posted
    Greetings,
    I know that  Dragonworld.biz is rebuilding their servers to support the asp.net 2.0.   They have a few sites already using it.  may want to email info@dragonworld.biz for information.

Running my site there and they also help with programming issues!!!!!!

tod
    Friday, November 4, 2005 3:59 PM
  • User81470576 posted
    I'm hosting my sites at www.webhost4life.com.  Inexpensive, lots of features, and they will host you on 2.0 if you request it.  SQL Server and MySQL are included for free, and the 'advanced' plan with subdomains etc. is only $10/month plus $20 setup fee.  So far, I'm happy with their hosting.  Now if I could only get my 2.0 sites up and running ...
    Friday, November 4, 2005 10:17 PM
  • User-1829657710 posted

To use Access as a provider you might want to have a look at the starter kits page for VS2005.

"Sample Access Provider Starter Kit
    The Sample Access Providers Starter Kit is a C# class library project containing implementations of ASP.NET 2.0 providers for the following features: Membership, Role Manger, Profile, and Web Parts Personalization. All of the providers use Microsoft Access for database storage. The starter kit also includes an empty Microsoft Access database containing the database schema used by the providers, as well as a sample web.config showing how the providers can be configured for use in an ASP.NET 2.0 application."

Saturday, November 5, 2005 9:44 PM
  • User2055120766 posted

Your suggestion seems the easiest route at this time since webhost4life also supports SQL 2005 Express.
    That should make the Club Starter Kit a painless install.

Thanks,

Dennis

Friday, September 15, 2006 8:18 AM
  • User523970105 posted
    The club site works on GoDaddy.com premium account for less than $7.00/month.
    Friday, September 15, 2006 8:57 AM
  • User-202127598 posted
    Could you PLEASE tell me the steps you used to get your site working on GoDaddy.com.  I've tried their FAQs & called, but they were little help.  I developed the site in Visual Studio 2005.  Any help you could give me would be GREATLY appreciated, and the more detail the better.  If I compile it and run it in Visual Studio it works fine.
    Thursday, October 5, 2006 11:46 AM
  • User523970105 posted

Could you PLEASE tell me the steps you used to get your site working on GoDaddy.com.  I've tried their FAQs & called, but they were little help.  I developed the site in Visual Studio 2005.  Any help you could give me would be GREATLY appreciated, and the more detail the better.  If I compile it and run it in Visual Studio it works fine.

Check out this thread: http://forums.asp.net/thread/1220730.aspx.  It's a long thread, but it contains a step-by-step procedure to get the original club site up on GoDaddy. Read through the entire thread, because there are a couple of updates and suggestions.

Friday, October 6, 2006 1:39 AM
  • User-202127598 posted
    Thanks for the reply! I actually found it after I continued looking through the forums.  I tried doing the step-by-step process, and some of it really helps, but I'm still having issues getting it working.  Now it's just a matter of going back and forth to the forums to find each issue [:)]  Are there any steps that HAVE to be done before creating the site first.  For example, I just ran the aspnet.regsql.exe.  I'd be interested in a step-by-step including what needs to be installed, the initial setup and how to deploy to public.  Also, one of the steps requires removing dbo. for a couple of files, which then doesn't allow viewing the site in VS 2005.  Is there a way to setup a compile flag so that I could toggle between the private & public setup?  If you haven't guessed, I'm new to all of this.
    Friday, October 6, 2006 11:27 AM
  • User523970105 posted

I'm not certain that I understand your question(s), but I'll take a stab at some general answers.

Note that I'm using Visual Web Developer, not VS, so there may be some differences in how it's done.  Also note that I'm using the original club site.  I haven't seen anything in the extended web site that makes it worthwhile for me to switch, yet.

First off, I didn't ever have to run aspnet.regsql.exe.  With VWD, all you have to do is download the club site template, click to create a new website based on the template, and run it.  The club site comes with just the club database, but after running the web site and adding a new user via the "Website -> ASP.NET Configuration" menu the aspnet database is automatically created.

The only preparation step that I had to do on GoDaddy was to create the MS SQL database and get the connectionstring information.  When you create the database on GoDaddy, you have to select the option to include the ASP.NET 2.0 schema.

The bottom line is that once I had a working local configuration, I just followed the procedure in the walkthrough, and it worked.  Even though I removed the dbo. prefix, it still works both on GoDaddy and locally in VWD.

The only issue is that I have to keep 2 different web.config files.  While working locally on adding new features, I have "web.config" and "web godaddy.config".  All changes and updates go into web.config, keeping notes on what I have changed.  When I'm ready to release changes to GoDaddy, I rename "web.config" to "web local.config" then "web godaddy.config" to "web.config".  I then go to my notes and make the required changes to the "new" web.config files, verify that everything compiles (but it won't run locally, because the connection string is for GoDaddy), then upload all of the changed files.  After uploading, I reverse the rename procedure and I can go back to developing locally.  There may be a much easier way to do this, do I don't know how.

It also didn't matter that I had separate club and aspnet databases locally versus a combined database on GoDaddy.  Everything except an add-on admin package from http://aspsksolutions.com email functionality worked both locally and remotely without changes.  I have since found a procedure in this forum that walked me through combining my local databases into one, and now everything except email functionality works in both places.

Friday, October 6, 2006 12:35 PM
  • User-202127598 posted
    Thanks again for your help!  I did what you said and it worked!  Instead of 2 web.configs I just commented out the GoDaddy specific info & uncommented the original.  I haven't done any of the extended site add-ons, all I did was change the images to what I was doing.  Now I'm getting a "Named Pipes Provide, error: 40", which is mentioned in http://forums.asp.net/thread/1136388.aspx, but I don't follow what they did to fix it.  It looks like they are recreating the database using some downloaded script from Microsoft.  Any ideas?
    Friday, October 6, 2006 1:10 PM
  • User523970105 posted

Sorry, that problem seems to be specific to VS and MS SQL Server 2005, of which I have neither.

One comment, though - I can't tell from your post whether you're having the problem connecting to a local database or the database on GoDaddy.  GoDaddy does not allow remote connections to your "production" database except through their web interface.  This means that you cannot run local development code against your production database on GoDaddy.

The biggest issue this caused for me is that I can't use the "Website -> ASP.NET Configuration" stuff to manage users.  That's why I went with the CWS Admin pages at http://aspsksolutions.com.

Friday, October 6, 2006 1:49 PM