none
Adding custom attributes to properties at run time in C# RRS feed

• Question

• hi all,
    Is it possible to add attributes to properties dynamically? I'm quite a beginner in dealing with Attributes and would appreciate any kind of help.
    Let me explain my scenario: I have a propertyGrid which has two tabs, one is to display inputProperties and other tab is to display result properties. I want to control my properties dynamically in both input and output tabs. For input tab, I suppose I can get them done by setting the BrowsableAttribute. But to display the output/result properties,  I have the following custom ResultPropertyAttribute. When I apply [ResultProperty] attribute to my properties, those properties gets displayed in the output tab. But I want to dynamically set this attribute to my property based on certain conditions, so that only if my condition gets satisfied i want my output properties to be displayed

[AttributeUsage(AttributeTargets.Property)]

public class ResultPropertyAttribute:Attribute

{

private string resultName;

public string ResultName

{

get{return resultName;}

set{resultName = value;}

}

}

In my continuos research, I found that its not possible to add attributes to properties dynamically

but in few different forums, I read we can make use of TypeDescriptor.AddAttributes() and I tried to implement them but the attribute doesn't seem to have been added to my property. I tried the below

//Gets existing attributes associated with "MyPropertyName"

AttributeCollection attributes = TypeDescriptor.GetProperties(this)["MyPropertyName"].Attributes;

//trying to add ResultPropertyAttribute to my property

TypeDescriptor.AddAttributes("MyPropertyName", new ResultPropertyAttribute());

//querying again to check if the ResultPropertyAttribute has been added but => I don't see them being added

attributes = TypeDescriptor.GetProperties(this)["MyPropertyName"].Attributes;

Can someone please guide me what is wrong in here ? I would also appreciate if there is any other better solution in what I am trying to achieve.

Thank you in advance for your help.

• Edited by jessica2030 Sunday, February 21, 2016 10:42 AM
    Sunday, February 21, 2016 10:38 AM

Answers

• The TypeDescriptor.AddAttributes method adds an attribute to an instance:

TypeDescriptor.AddAttributes(this, new ResultPropertyAttribute());

If you want to add an attribute to a property of an instance, you could refer to the following thread and the two helper classes: http://stackoverflow.com/questions/12143650/how-to-add-property-level-attribute-to-the-typedescriptor-at-runtime

I am afraid that there is no built-in method that directly lets you add an attribute to a single property of an instance.

Hope that helps.

Please remember to close your threads by marking helpful posts as answer and then start a new thread if you have a new question. Please don't ask several questions in the same thread.

• Marked as answer by jessica2030 Monday, February 22, 2016 3:09 AM
    Sunday, February 21, 2016 8:32 PM

All replies