none
coexisting ex 2007/2010 RRS feed

• Question

• Hello,

I believe I know the answer but I realy need to double change

We have Exchange 2007 Sp1

We want to build a completly seperate exchange 2010 in the same domain, we will migrate mailboxes via export and import of pst

What I want to know is once I have done the schema updates for exchange 2010 will 2007 with sp1 still work or will I need to upgrade it to sp 2 before hand? We will never move mailboxes between servers.

Wednesday, May 18, 2011 10:05 AM

Answers

• This question belongs in the Admin or Deploy forum, not the Development forum.

I wouldn't use a PST-based move if you are building a new Exchange server in the same Active Directory domain.  I would use New-MoveRequest.

Updating the schema will not harm Exchange 2007.  It will continue to function just fine.

You should move mailboxes from Exchange 2007 to Exchange 2010.  It will make for a much better experience for your users.

I strongly recommend that you pick up one or more of the books by Tony Redmond, Jim McBee and/or Rand Morimoto and read up on how Exchange works.

Ed Crowley MVP "There are seldom good technological solutions to behavioral problems."
    Wednesday, May 18, 2011 2:44 PM

All replies

• This question belongs in the Admin or Deploy forum, not the Development forum.

I wouldn't use a PST-based move if you are building a new Exchange server in the same Active Directory domain.  I would use New-MoveRequest.

Updating the schema will not harm Exchange 2007.  It will continue to function just fine.

You should move mailboxes from Exchange 2007 to Exchange 2010.  It will make for a much better experience for your users.

I strongly recommend that you pick up one or more of the books by Tony Redmond, Jim McBee and/or Rand Morimoto and read up on how Exchange works.

Ed Crowley MVP "There are seldom good technological solutions to behavioral problems."
    Wednesday, May 18, 2011 2:44 PM
  • That would involve us updating exchange 2007 to service pack 2 which will in turn incur downtime on a 24/7 company that has a non-clustered environment. Thanks for your clarification though
    Wednesday, May 18, 2011 3:59 PM
  • You're being penny-wise and pound-foolish, then.  The outage time and pain you're going to cause your users with your migration approach will dwarf the brief update outage you would take applying SP2.  The aggregate user-minutes of downtime from your approach will be an order of magnitude greater, I predict.  But suit yourself.

Wednesday, May 18, 2011 4:06 PM