Adding your own (contextual) ribbon tabs to explorer

Question

• Is it possible to add our own (contextual) ribbon tabs to the explorer ribbon?

This is possible in office and quite some products make great use of it.

For the desktop ribbon, I'm thinking about very common tools like Subversion.  It has quite some commands all hidden away in a (quite big) context menu.  It would be great if it were possible to allow such applications to move their commands to a dedicated ribbon tab.  Consistency in user experience and stuff...

Is this possible or is this feature planned?

Friday, September 23, 2011 9:48 AM

Answers

• Is it possible to add our own (contextual) ribbon tabs to the explorer ribbon?

No, that's why I hate the Ribbons in the Explorer.

However, add-ins will not be able to plug into the ribbon UI. This was a difficult engineering choice for us and we expect that many of you will read this and suggest we add the capability--of course if we could get it right this time around we would have done that.

Source:
    http://blogs.msdn.com/b/b8/archive/2011/08/29/improvements-in-windows-explorer.aspx

"A programmer is just a tool which converts caffeine into code"

• Proposed as answer by Andre.Ziegler Friday, September 23, 2011 3:59 PM
    • Marked as answer by RavioliMonster Friday, September 23, 2011 9:46 PM
    Friday, September 23, 2011 3:59 PM

All replies

No, that's why I hate the Ribbons in the Explorer.

However, add-ins will not be able to plug into the ribbon UI. This was a difficult engineering choice for us and we expect that many of you will read this and suggest we add the capability--of course if we could get it right this time around we would have done that.

Source:
    http://blogs.msdn.com/b/b8/archive/2011/08/29/improvements-in-windows-explorer.aspx

"A programmer is just a tool which converts caffeine into code"

• Proposed as answer by Andre.Ziegler Friday, September 23, 2011 3:59 PM
    • Marked as answer by RavioliMonster Friday, September 23, 2011 9:46 PM
    Friday, September 23, 2011 3:59 PM
  • Ouch.  I think that's quite painfull.

I would have loved a subversion ribbontab.

Friday, September 23, 2011 9:47 PM