none
XamlViewer was not installed silently RRS feed

• Question

• Greetings,

My previous question was regarding not working applications which are using Framework 2 when SP1 for Framework 3.5 installed.http://social.msdn.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/netfxsetup/thread/5a3188ab-335b-4a00-874d-7b7daa0c30f1

Since there is no resolution yet I decided to use Aaron Stenber’s cleanup tool and then reinstall needed frameworks.

The said tool worked perfectly. Then I performed repair of Visual Basic Express edition. It was advised on MSDN forum that it is better to bring back 3.5 and SP1 that way if Express installed rather then run redistributable Setup.

The repair went flawlessly. No errors reported. Framework 2 SP2 and Framework 3 SP2 were brought back to my PC along with 3.5 SP1.

I decided to check Framework integrity with Aarons verifier. There were errors…

It turned out that the verification log shows that the following 3 files are missing:

[09/22/08,11:11:55] ****ERROR**** File C:\WINDOWS\Microsoft.NET\Framework\v3.0\WPF\XamlViewer\XamlViewer_v0300.exe is not installed on the system

[09/22/08,11:11:55] ****ERROR**** File C:\WINDOWS\Microsoft.NET\Framework\v3.0\WPF\XamlViewer\XamlViewer_v0300.exe.manifest is not installed on the system

[09/22/08,11:11:55] ****ERROR**** File C:\WINDOWS\Microsoft.NET\Framework\v3.0\WPF\XamlViewer\XamlViewer_v0300.xbap is not installed on the system

The repair of Frame work 3.0 SP2 asks fob the media of netfx30a_x86.msi

But the only installers I can find at MS site are :

http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?familyid=10cc340b-f857-4a14-83f5-25634c3bf043&displaylang=en

dotnetfx3setup.exe         Version: 3.0       Date Published: 11/21/2006

and

http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?familyid=EC2CA85D-B255-4425-9E65-1E88A0BDB72A&displaylang=en

dotnetfx30SP1setup.exe Version: SP1        Date Published: 11/19/2007

Can anybody advise what has to be done in order to repair installation and bring XamlViewer here?

My regards

• Edited by vbCat Monday, September 22, 2008 11:27 AM
    Monday, September 22, 2008 11:25 AM

Answers

•  

Hello,

Would you please tell me what Windows version of your computer, Windows XP or Windows Vista?   You know, I am using Windows XP SP2, while after .NET Framework 3.5 SP1 installed successfully on my side, no XamlViewer is installed on my side.   As far as I know, this tool is a part of Windows Vista.  You know .NET Framework 2.0 and 3.0 are system components in Windows Vista.  

It is a tool to handle XAML language files in WPF applications.   However, Visual Studio 2008 already has very powerful functions to handle XAML files.  In my opinion, we could do the WPF development with no XamlViewer without any problems.   Besides, as far as I know, XamlViewer is included in Visual Studio SDK as a useful utility.   And if you are using Visual Studio 2005 Extensions for WPF to develop WPF application, this tool might be helpful.   So, if you are using Visual Studio 2008, I think no need to repair your .NET Framework here.

Thanks,

Best Regards,
    Lingzhi

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help. http://forums.msdn.microsoft.com/en-US/csharpide/thread/8e9ed0d7-11ff-402a-8489-9b5f05eeb706 http://forums.msdn.microsoft.com/en-US/vssetup/thread/60424309-bd78-4ca2-b618-03c4a16123b6
    • Marked as answer by vbCat Wednesday, September 24, 2008 9:56 AM
    Wednesday, September 24, 2008 6:59 AM

All replies

•  

Hello,

Would you please tell me what Windows version of your computer, Windows XP or Windows Vista?   You know, I am using Windows XP SP2, while after .NET Framework 3.5 SP1 installed successfully on my side, no XamlViewer is installed on my side.   As far as I know, this tool is a part of Windows Vista.  You know .NET Framework 2.0 and 3.0 are system components in Windows Vista.  

It is a tool to handle XAML language files in WPF applications.   However, Visual Studio 2008 already has very powerful functions to handle XAML files.  In my opinion, we could do the WPF development with no XamlViewer without any problems.   Besides, as far as I know, XamlViewer is included in Visual Studio SDK as a useful utility.   And if you are using Visual Studio 2005 Extensions for WPF to develop WPF application, this tool might be helpful.   So, if you are using Visual Studio 2008, I think no need to repair your .NET Framework here.

Thanks,

Best Regards,
    Lingzhi

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help. http://forums.msdn.microsoft.com/en-US/csharpide/thread/8e9ed0d7-11ff-402a-8489-9b5f05eeb706 http://forums.msdn.microsoft.com/en-US/vssetup/thread/60424309-bd78-4ca2-b618-03c4a16123b6
    • Marked as answer by vbCat Wednesday, September 24, 2008 9:56 AM
    Wednesday, September 24, 2008 6:59 AM
  • Lingzhi Sun said:

Hi Lingzhi,
    Thank you for reply.
    As for the system and other  info - unfortunately I didn't fine the way here to put Signature, where I usually put some description of Environment.
    I am using XP Pro SP3.
    Well the error report was produced by Aaron Stebner's known Tool. Then even if 
    XAML viewer should not be a part of XP installation and those are the only errors the MS repair function works badly the same anacceptable buggy way as the whole Framwork installation nightmer. It should say that there is nothing to repair.
    I did not understand your statement "
    .NET Framework 2.0 and 3.0 are system components in Windows Vista." Those were always installed here. Moreover as I stated installation of 3.5 will bring them back.
    Mainly I can live without
    XAML currently. That is not a major issue.
    The major issue is that my attempt to repair anything containing bugs was driven by Not working applications which are using Framework 2 as in my referred link. I cannot always uninstall SP1(that one is the cause of a bug) for 3.5 in order to run Framework 2 applications when I need them. That is ridicules! But it seems to be the only way, because the following reinstallation of 3.5 with SP1 works fine.

Thanks again for response.
    My regards

• Edited by vbCat Wednesday, September 24, 2008 10:21 AM
    Wednesday, September 24, 2008 10:19 AM