FP 2007 + Windows XP SP3 vs XPe SP3 RRS feed

• Question

• I have a build that needs to be <500 MB that was made using XPe FP2007 and comes in at a little over 200 MB after FBA.  Based on project requirements, it has been patched with regular old Windows XP SP 3 in order to apply the security patches.  This of course inflates the build to over 1.5 GB and I end up spending a lot of time deleting large chunks of stuff and finally end up with maybe 30 MB free space at best after Reseal.

My question is if I upgrade the XPe FP 2007 to XPe SP3, will that allow me to end up with a build that is already the equivalent of Windows XP SP 3 as far as the security patches go, but without all the things I do not need like Windows Media Player, Messenger, etc and maybe saving me all the file deletion tasks as well as a little more free space in the end?  Will I need to purchase an additional license for XPe SP 3?

Wednesday, July 6, 2011 5:00 PM

Answers

• Ok. Now we are getting somewhere. Update the database from XPE SP2 FP2007  to SP3 will let give you SP3 security. You should also add security udpates since SP3 release to have the most up to date database and image. 

No new licenses are needed.

-sean

www.sjjmicro.com / www.seanliming.com / www.annabooks.com, Book Author - ProGuide to WES 7, XP Embedded Advanced, WEPOS / POS for .NET Step-by-Step
    Thursday, July 7, 2011 11:26 PM
  • The two are seperate. If you update the database, you don't have to use the DQI.

-Sean

www.sjjmicro.com / www.seanliming.com / www.annabooks.com, Book Author - ProGuide to WES 7, XP Embedded Advanced, WEPOS / POS for .NET Step-by-Step
    Monday, July 11, 2011 10:18 PM

All replies

• Adding the desktop SP3 is going to blow up an image. I am not sure about timing, but you might have to use WES2009 (XPE SP3 renamed). A distributor can clarify.

-Sean

Wednesday, July 6, 2011 5:53 PM
  • Adding the desktop SP3 is going to blow up an image. I am not sure about timing, but you might have to use WES2009 (XPE SP3 renamed). A distributor can clarify.

Not sure what you mean about timing...do you mean my project timing or is there an end of life situation with XPe or something else?

I thought WES2009 was a different animal than XPe SP3.  This is all very (unnecessarily) confusing.

If indeed WES2009 == XPe SP3, then do I need a new license or can I just upgrade my XPe FP 2007?  If they are not the same, what is the difference between the two?

And would going to WES2009 (or XPe SP3 if they are different) solve the actual problem I asked about i.e. making a build that is the security equivalent of Windows XP SP3 but in an XPe environment so I can control what does and does not make it into the file list and not having to spend hours deleting all the nonsense that the XP SP3 patch puts in?

Wednesday, July 6, 2011 6:02 PM
  •  

1. By timing, I mean the EOL of XPe.

2. WES2009 is XPe SP3, and WES2009 has a longer life cycle. Yes, very confusing - Bad marketing mistake by a few people

3. Yes, a new license is required for WES2009

4. With WES2009, you can custom build the image by including the components you want and you have SP3 security to go with it. The method you used by installing the big SP probably made the image bigger with unwanted features.

-Sean

Wednesday, July 6, 2011 10:09 PM
  • I am still confused about this.  In this thread, you separate the two products.  I have seen them referred to as different in many other threads on these forums as well (such as here).  The XPe SP3 patch is an available download on the ECE,  Or if someone already has it downloaded, it is certainly usable as a tool to upgrade one's existing environment.  Is the new licensing required only if you upgrade to the "official" WES2009 or must you get one even if you apply only the SP3 patch?

Thursday, July 7, 2011 2:00 PM
  • Seriously???

Microsoft wants you to think these are two seperate products. WES2009 was a misguided naming convention that has create allot of confusion. They introduced WES2009 as a sperate product and forced customers to update their license agreements and pay for new license keys and stickers. They did this during a economic down turn. A few months later, they then came out with SP3 for XPE. Technically, they are the same product, but XPE is going to go EOL very soon. So if you are started a new XPE project, you want to be using WES2009.

Lets take a step back. You said you use the Regualr Windows SP3 update patch on XPE image. Is this correct? And why would you do this?

Did you build the image using Target Designer? If you did build the image using Target Designer, why didn't you update the database with SP3 and rebuild?

-Sean

Thursday, July 7, 2011 8:57 PM
  • Lets take a step back. You said you use the Regualr Windows SP3 update patch on XPE image. Is this correct? And why would you do this?

Yes it is correct and it is the result of an analysis program that applies the security patches to the build if they are needed.  The program does not know what XPe is so just applies the commercial XP Pro SP3 patch based on what winver.exe reports back as the version number.  It is a required portion of the project and cannot be bypassed, nor altered to detect XPe.

Did you build the image using Target Designer?

Yes I made the image with Target Designer - XPe FP 2007. 

If you did build the image using Target Designer, why didn't you update the database with SP3 and rebuild?

This is my actual original question.  If I apply the XPe SP3 upgrade to my FP 2007 Target Designer and rebuild, will the resulting builds be the security equivalent of a commercial XP Pro SP3?  If not, will applying the all the ECE Security patches from when XPe SP 3 was released to today in addition to the XPe SP3 upgrade accomplish that goal?  In other words, will winver.exe report back SP3 as the version number?

EDITED TO ADD: Also, if I upgrade from XPe FP 2007 to ONLY XPe SP3, do I need to buy new licenses?

Thursday, July 7, 2011 9:50 PM
  • Ok. Now we are getting somewhere. Update the database from XPE SP2 FP2007  to SP3 will let give you SP3 security. You should also add security udpates since SP3 release to have the most up to date database and image. 

No new licenses are needed.

-sean

Thursday, July 7, 2011 11:26 PM
  • OK:

Thanks a lot Sean, things are looking up.  I have the Target Developer upgraded to XPe SP3 and in my first experimental build our analysis program recognizes it as such and thus will not apply the commercial Windows XP SP3 patch.  :)

Now, looking at the first CD of security patches I have from 2008, there are 3 folders on it.  One for XPe SP3, one for WES2009 and one marked DQI for after build images according to the readme file.  If I do not want to update any previous images (they will get deleted actually), can I ONLY apply the XPe SP3 patches to my Target Designer and still have the same security level?  Or will I HAVE to apply the DQI patches to any future builds?

Monday, July 11, 2011 10:09 PM
  • The two are seperate. If you update the database, you don't have to use the DQI.

-Sean

Monday, July 11, 2011 10:18 PM