Cannot create blog site under publishing site RRS feed

• Question

• On our production intranet, which is a publishing site, I receive a correlation id error when I try to create a OOB blog site. After looking at the logs, I encountered a critical error: Failed to initialize some site properties for Web at Url.

After that I see a Unexpected error that reads: Publishing Feature activation failed. Exception: Microsoft.SharePoint.SPException: Provisioning did not succeed. Details: Failed to initialize some site properties for Web at Url.

Then this line: The feature '94c94ca6-b32f-4da9-a9e3-1f3d343d7ecb' depends on feature '22a9ef51-737b-4ff2-9346-694633fe4416' which failed to activate

It seems to be failing when trying to activate the publishing feature? I never seen a site creation fail with this type of error before. Has anyone encountered an error like this before? Do I need to call support?

Wednesday, February 25, 2015 1:42 PM

Answers

• Hi Drcmptrman,

I tested the same scenario per your post, however the blog was created successfully.

I recommend to check the things below:

1. Check if the blog site template has been customized to enable the publishing feature by default or there is some custom farm solutions need to have the  publishing feature enabled by default.
    2. Make sure that the SharePoint Server Publishing Infrastructure is activated in Manage site collection features in the root site.
    3. Check ULS log for detailed error message.
    4. To narrow the issue, please test this scenario in another site collection and then check the results.

Thanks,
    Victoria
    Forum Support
    Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help. If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Victoria Xia
    TechNet Community Support

Thursday, February 26, 2015 8:53 AM

All replies

• Hi Drcmptrman,

I tested the same scenario per your post, however the blog was created successfully.

I recommend to check the things below:

1. Check if the blog site template has been customized to enable the publishing feature by default or there is some custom farm solutions need to have the  publishing feature enabled by default.
    2. Make sure that the SharePoint Server Publishing Infrastructure is activated in Manage site collection features in the root site.
    3. Check ULS log for detailed error message.
    4. To narrow the issue, please test this scenario in another site collection and then check the results.

Thanks,
    Victoria
    Forum Support
    Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help. If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Victoria Xia

Thursday, February 26, 2015 8:53 AM
  • Hi,

it looks like you don't have SharePoint Server Publishing Infrastructure enabled..

have a look at this link: Link

on how to enable Publishing features correctly.

Bassicaly what you need to do is this:

"You need to activate Publishing Infrastructure in the Site Collection where you want to use Publishing.

Go to the Top level site of the Site Collection and choose Site Actions > Site Settings. On the Site Settings page in the Site Collection Administration column choose Site Collection Features. Activate SharePoint Server Publishing Infrastructure Feature.

Then go back to the Site Settings page and choose Manage site features in the Site Actions column. Activate the Sharepoint server Publishing Feature.

Now you can activate Publishing on any site in this site collection. For other site collections repeat the process."

Btw if you don't resolve the problem you can see all features and GUIDs with PowerShell and enable it. -> depends on feature '22a9ef51-737b-4ff2-9346-694633fe4416' which failed to activate.

Best regards.

Thursday, February 26, 2015 9:16 AM
  • Hi Drcmptrman,

How is everything going?

Is there anything update about this issue?

Thanks

Victoria

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help, and unmark the answers if they provide no help. If you have feedback for TechNet Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Thursday, March 5, 2015 3:44 AM
  • HI,It seems that one of the feature depends on the other feature.Make sure that both the features are enabled.Please let me know what are those features for further trouble shoot of the issue.

Anil Avula[Partner,MCP,MCSE,MCSA,MCTS,MCITP,MCSM] See Me At: http://expertsharepoint.blogspot.de/

Thursday, March 5, 2015 4:11 AM