none
Windows Embedded Compact 7 Update 4(Oct 2011) Installation Failure RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

I booked a Windows Embedded Compact 7 Evaluation DVD-ROM from MS and succussfully installed it to my Windows 7 32bits machine several months ago. Recent days I tried to install Windows Embedded Compact 7 Update 4(Oct 2011) since I never install any updates after the initial installation.

Unfortunately my first installation of the udpate failed at the very last few steps due to insufficient spare disk space left on my C driver. So I had to exit the installation and extend my C driver to have enough space to content this update.

And then I started another try for this update. And this time I met a new failure. The update installation program popped up a window with the following messages:

The package "English (en-us) Documentation Update 1" encountered the following error.
    Windows Embedded Compact 7 Documentation cannot be updated because there is a newer version on the machine. Please remove the new version if you want to install this version.

And then the update installation program exit the process without any more instrutions. Could someone here instruct me how to reslove this failure/conflict? Should I have to re-install my Windows Embedded Compact 7 ?

Thanks in advance.

Thursday, April 5, 2012 12:16 PM

All replies

• One possible solution is to delete C:\Windows\WinCEPB60.ini.   I haven't seen your specific problem before, but this has worked for other problems like this.

Bruce Eitman (eMVP)
    Senior Engineer
    Bruce.Eitman AT Eurotech DOT com
    My BLOG http://geekswithblogs.net/bruceeitman

Eurotech Inc.
    www.Eurotech.com

Thursday, April 5, 2012 2:42 PM
  • Hi, Bruce

I had a search on whole C driver but can not find this file anywhere.

Weidong

Friday, April 6, 2012 4:31 AM
  • I am sorry, check for C:\Windows\WinCEPB70.ini

Bruce Eitman (eMVP)
    Senior Engineer
    Bruce.Eitman AT Eurotech DOT com
    My BLOG http://geekswithblogs.net/bruceeitman

Eurotech Inc.
    www.Eurotech.com

Friday, April 6, 2012 12:36 PM
  • Finally the issue resolved by un-install Windows silverlight embedded tools from my Windows 7 control panel.

I do not know where/when this Windows silverlight embedded tools got installed on my machine. But looks like it always hold a Windows Embedded Compact 7 Documentation latest update and this latest update willl prevent WEC 7.0 specific update success, even I totally un-install WEC 7.0 from my machine.

Tuesday, April 10, 2012 12:17 PM