none
Got a "Developer Mode package failed to install" error when trying to start a UWP project RRS feed

• Question

• Yesterday I installed VS 2017. The first thing I tried to do was start a new UWP project. That gave me a warning saying that I needed to go into Settings | Update & Secucrity | For Developers and set myself in Developer Mode. I tried, but got the following error:

"Developer Mode package failed to install. Error code 0x80004005"

Next I went to look for help on this error. I came across a post titled Developer Mode package failed to install. In reading through the responses to the poster's problem I came across Joyce Yin's reply which reads in part:

"Please launch regedit.exe and modify this key:
          HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Policies\Microsoft\Windows\WindowsUpdate\AU
          UseWUServer to 0 (to disable), restart
    After this, when you enable Developer mode from the For developers settings dialog, the error will gone."

I've found the registry key you gave to Kevins69. However, in my case it looks as though WUStatus points to what I presume is a WSUS server. I think that my IT group would not want me to replace the URL to the server with the value of 0.

So I'm wondering how am I to proceed? Should I go to my supervisor and ask for permissions to be able to work on UWP apps? (I work on a development group so writing UWP apps for us would be something I can see us doing.) Or is replacing the URL with a 0 acceptable?

Rod

Wednesday, March 29, 2017 3:14 PM

Answers

• Hi Rod,

Thank you for posting in MSDN forum.

>>Should I go to my supervisor and ask for permissions to be able to work on UWP apps?

The best way is to consult with your supervisor to apply for the permission so that the Develop mode package could install successfully.

I test with Joyce's solution about changing  UseWUServer 's value, it actually works, but from my point of view, the priority is to choose to obtain the permission.

Besides, this forum is about VS setup and installation, if you have any question about installing VS , please feel free to ask me, I'm willing to help you troubleshoot, meanwhile, if you have any question about UWP development,  I suggest you could go to Windows and Windows phone apps  Developing Universal Windows apps  for a much professional support.

Thank you for your understanding and cooperation.

Best Regards,

MSDN Community Support
    Please remember to click "Mark as Answer" the responses that resolved your issue, and to click "Unmark as Answer" if not. This can be beneficial to other community members reading this thread. If you have any compliments or complaints to MSDN Support, feel free to contact MSDNFSF@microsoft.com.

• Marked as answer by Rod at Work Thursday, March 30, 2017 2:20 PM
    Thursday, March 30, 2017 6:53 AM