Visual studio webtest support for javascript and css files RRS feed

• General discussion

• Hi,

I had recently recorded a webtest and found that the webtest is not capturing any js or css files. I was wondering now if VSTS supports javascript and css files recording. Let me know your thoughts on this? . 

Thanks,

Venkat

Tuesday, March 7, 2017 3:59 AM

All replies

• What do you mean by "not capturing"? Visual Studio will download the JavaScript and CSS file and all other dependant requests, provided the "Parse dependant requests" property of the main request is set "True".

When the web test is used in a load test, caching needs to be considered. This is partly controlled by the "Percentage of new users" in the scenario.

If you mean that the code in the JavaScript and CSS file is not being executed when the web test runs then that is the expected behaviour. The web test only interprets the html. Any work done by Javascript, CSS and other active elements must be simulated by the code in your tests. But that is a much smaller job than it appears at first. The web test follows a specific user journey and the work that the JavaScript etc has done for that journey has been recorded in the web test. All that is needed is to find the pieces of the requests that change from one text execution to another and replace them with context parameters or data driving values. Then use extraction rules or plugins to find needed values from earlier responses.

Regards

Adrian

Tuesday, March 7, 2017 7:53 AM