none
Converting Excel to XML? RRS feed

• Question

• Hello,

Is there a way to convert Excel to XML? I administrate an application that produce a monthly order report. When I run the report I name the report and choose the XML-format. After a while I get prompted to save the report. I choose a name like "201001_report.xml" but choose the Excel format. The result is an "Excel/XML" file.

My question is...is it possible to convert this Excel file to a pure XML file where every order row in the Excel file is represented by an XML order tag?

Thanks in adcance!
    Martin

Wednesday, April 7, 2010 8:56 PM

All replies

• Hi Martin_70,

Thanks for your question.

One thing I need to be clear about is that what kind of XML file do you need. Do you need just the data from the Excel file and use it to generate an XML file or do you need to convert the whole Excel file(which contains the file format, different parts like sheet, workbook, etc.) to a corresponding XML file (which also contains the extra information besides the data)?

If you just need the data, you could refer to this link which tells you how to get a cell by the index as well as the cell value. If you need to convert the whole document. You might save it as XML spreadsheet 2003 in Excel or find other third party tool to achieve this.

Hope this helps. If you have any question, please let me know.

Thanks,

Lu

Thursday, April 8, 2010 6:48 AM
  • Hi, export, I google and find this.  As I have the same requirement as this, what is difference is that I also need to convert the xml back to Excel. I once thought that I extract the content to stream and then use the stream to rebuild the target file(xml or Excel), so i would not to convert and back. Is it possible or is there any alternative for this? 

Regards

Thursday, June 7, 2012 6:14 AM