How do I put Windows 8 Dev Preview on an External Hard Drive?

Question

• OK. So I don't want to put my real Hard Drive at risk, I decided to use an External Hard Drive. I used WinRar to open the iso file and move those files to it, Since it's impossible to burn an iso to a EHD. So I have it all on, and I restart my computer. I go to the boot menu, and my EHD isn't on there, just Windows 7 and my CD drive.

Friday, November 25, 2011 12:09 AM

All replies

• couple of methods... make sure your external HDD is seen when your in normal boot.... Now you can not removed later unless you wan to mess up your boot mgr.

open the install 8102 and select the external HDD, (I do not recommend this method).

[quote]Since it's impossible to burn an iso to a EHD.[/quote] You can install to the EHD, but not BURN too.

[quote]So I have it all on, and I restart my computer. I go to the boot menu, and my EHD isn't on there, just Windows 7 and my CD drive.[/quote]

Install to is not the same as BURN TO.  Until you install to your EHD it will not show in boot menu...

Friday, November 25, 2011 1:10 AM
  • Refer to the suggestion in the thread below dealing with the same issue.

http://social.msdn.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/windowsdeveloperpreviewgeneral/thread/d25974d7-2432-44c5-9cc2-a73e2afd7de8

Marilyn
    Friday, November 25, 2011 1:40 AM