Mainframe to C# RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

We want to migrate one of our mainframe application to .net platform.

Please help me in findng out what all inputs are required(needs to be captured) as a part of a migration strategy and creating the architecture of .net application thereafter.

Cheers 

Wednesday, November 14, 2007 12:38 PM

Answers

• If no one on your team knows how to architect a .NET application, I would *highly* suggest that you either hire someone who does or bring on an external consultant.

It would be very difficult to be successful at this endeavor without working with someone who has made already made all of the mistakes!<G>

If the situation is just that your boss just told you to do this ... then here are some thoughts:

1) Don't use the word "inputs". That is not very .net like. Try "scenarios" or "stories". <G>

2) Hire a .NET architect or find a good .NET consultant.

3) Look at how the application should be layered when migrated to .NET (user interface, business object, data access).

4) Look at the order that features need to be migrated. Is it possible to migrate piece by piece?

5) Are there any parts of the application that could be reused from .NET? (For example, files created by a mainframe application could be read by .NET code or features provided by the mainframe could be accessible via a Web service style interface).

Hope this helps.

Wednesday, November 14, 2007 9:37 PM
  • Hope this helps: http://msdn2.microsoft.com/en-us/architecture/aa754491.aspx
    Wednesday, January 30, 2008 2:12 AM

All replies

• This question cannot be answered in a simple one line. What kind of application r u trying to migrate. R u trying to migrate jus the user interface part or the entire application(data and funtionality also)

Wednesday, November 14, 2007 9:12 PM
  • If no one on your team knows how to architect a .NET application, I would *highly* suggest that you either hire someone who does or bring on an external consultant.

It would be very difficult to be successful at this endeavor without working with someone who has made already made all of the mistakes!<G>

If the situation is just that your boss just told you to do this ... then here are some thoughts:

1) Don't use the word "inputs". That is not very .net like. Try "scenarios" or "stories". <G>

2) Hire a .NET architect or find a good .NET consultant.

3) Look at how the application should be layered when migrated to .NET (user interface, business object, data access).

4) Look at the order that features need to be migrated. Is it possible to migrate piece by piece?

5) Are there any parts of the application that could be reused from .NET? (For example, files created by a mainframe application could be read by .NET code or features provided by the mainframe could be accessible via a Web service style interface).

Hope this helps.

Wednesday, November 14, 2007 9:37 PM
  • Thanks to both of you for answering to my query.

FYI, we have to migrate the whole application with data and functionality.

We do have .net consultants.Deborahk, I am sorry if my earlier statement has misled you. This application is a part of our another subsidiary.So we need to know as what questions should we ask them to get to the conclusion whether we need to reengineering the application, migrate it partially or fully.

Implementation in .Net is not a problem but requirement gathering is the actual problem.I must admit here that points mentioned by Deborahk are well taken here but needs more inputs in light of the above.

Cheers

Thursday, November 15, 2007 5:31 AM
  • Hope this helps: http://msdn2.microsoft.com/en-us/architecture/aa754491.aspx
    Wednesday, January 30, 2008 2:12 AM