DSS Hosting Application location RRS feed

Answers

• It is possible to host the DSS in a directory other than the MSRS bin directory. If you're doing a custom host application, the executable is in the root directory, the services are in the root/bin directory. The bin directory location must be specified by the DssRuntimeConfiguration when you call

DssEnvironment

.Initialize(_configuration, manifests.ToArray());

To solve some other DLL referencing issues if you have non-DsspService assemblies, like utilities.dll, the probe path in the app.config should be set to the bin directory. I just start all my services directly because I know which to start initially to get the ball rolling. This was fairly painful to get going but it does work. The custom host examples would be a place to start. I didn't put the MSRS assemblies in the GAC for other reasons but I could put them in the bin folder and it works fine.

Note: the DSS will create sibling folders to the bin

• Marked as answer by gunnnModerator Monday, November 21, 2011 10:00 PM
    Friday, June 3, 2011 8:04 PM

All replies

• It is possible to host the DSS in a directory other than the MSRS bin directory. If you're doing a custom host application, the executable is in the root directory, the services are in the root/bin directory. The bin directory location must be specified by the DssRuntimeConfiguration when you call

DssEnvironment

.Initialize(_configuration, manifests.ToArray());

To solve some other DLL referencing issues if you have non-DsspService assemblies, like utilities.dll, the probe path in the app.config should be set to the bin directory. I just start all my services directly because I know which to start initially to get the ball rolling. This was fairly painful to get going but it does work. The custom host examples would be a place to start. I didn't put the MSRS assemblies in the GAC for other reasons but I could put them in the bin folder and it works fine.

Note: the DSS will create sibling folders to the bin

• Marked as answer by gunnnModerator Monday, November 21, 2011 10:00 PM
    Friday, June 3, 2011 8:04 PM
  • Thanks for replying,

Just to clarify :

·         If using an alternate directory location other than the default MSRS bin directory.

·         Put the host executable in the new target directory (root).

·         Put the service/s used in a bin directory under the root.

·         Set the bin directory location using the DSSRuntimeConfiguration when DssEnvironment is called.

·         Any third-party assemblies should be put into the root/bin directory and set the ‘probe path’ the bin root/bin directory in the app.config.

My current host app is a simple WPF app based on the hosting tutorials. When you say ‘start my services directly’ do you mean that within the hosting app you start every service individually that your app will be using or one service (the orchestrating service) starts all the services as required?

Also, if your app requires the use of let’s say the MSRS WeCam service. Do you then copy the relevant webcam service dll’s etc. from the default MSRS bin directory to the new root/bin location of the custom hosting application?

Again, thanks for taking the time its much appreciated,

Simon

Saturday, June 18, 2011 6:49 PM
  • Mike,

I did get this working. Thanks for the advice.

Cheers,

Simon

Tuesday, November 22, 2011 1:07 AM