Expression Blend 2 trial expired? RRS feed

• Question

• I downloaded and installed Expression Blend 2 w/SP1. When I try to use it I get a message that says the trial has expired. I just downloaded it today. Any ideas?

Thanks,

-Cary
    Friday, March 20, 2009 6:11 PM

Answers

• Thanks, Prasad.

Here's what I discovered:

After installing the EB 2 SP1, when I launched EB 2 I got a message that said it is a trial version and it has expired and it just closes.

I am on XP SP3.

I tried to uninstall just the Ex Blend SP1, but I could not find Ex Blend SP1 on the list in "Add or Remove Programs"???

So, I uninstalled Expression Blend 2.

Then I reinstalled Ex Blend 2:
       - File: Blend_Trial_en.exe
       - Size: 236,811 KB

I started Ex Blend 2 and it worked. Version 2.0.1523.0

Next, I went to this screen: "Thank You for Downloading Microsoft Expression Blend™ 2 Service Pack 1". You can get there by canceling your download you started on the previous screen:
    http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/thankyou.aspx?familyId=eb9b5c48-ba2b-4c39-a1c3-135c60bbbe66&displayLang=en

From this page you can click a link that says "If your download does not start after 30 seconds, click this link: Start download." If you hit "Save" and then compare the two files you downloaded, just as Vadim pointed out in a post on Feb 27, there are two different sizes of the same file called - BlendV2SP1_en.exe

1) On the download progress panel it says it is 17.8 MB, after downloading to disk it is 18,241 KB - this one does not work
    2) On the download progress panel it says it is 17.7 MB, after downloading to disk it is 18,228 KB - this one WORKS!

An obvious CM issue here...

So, feeling lucky, I installed the 18,228 KB version of the file BlendV2SP1_en.exe.  And just like Vadim said,  it WORKED! Yes!!

After installing the 18,228 KB version of the file BlendV2SP1_en.exe, go to Help About in EB 2 and you will see, "Microsoft Expression Blend 2 Service Pack 1 Version 2.1.1760.0"

Hopefully this helps everyone get past this crazy issue.

-Cary
    • Marked as answer by Cary321 Monday, March 23, 2009 8:48 PM
    Monday, March 23, 2009 6:40 PM

All replies

• Try downloading Blend 3 Preview
    http://www.microsoft.com/expression/try-it/blendpreview.aspx

I hope this will help you :)
    Prasad - www.beautifulmind.blog.co.in
    • Proposed as answer by prasad22 Sunday, March 22, 2009 1:48 AM
    Sunday, March 22, 2009 1:48 AM
  • Thanks, Prasad.

Here's what I discovered:

After installing the EB 2 SP1, when I launched EB 2 I got a message that said it is a trial version and it has expired and it just closes.

I am on XP SP3.

I tried to uninstall just the Ex Blend SP1, but I could not find Ex Blend SP1 on the list in "Add or Remove Programs"???

So, I uninstalled Expression Blend 2.

Then I reinstalled Ex Blend 2:
       - File: Blend_Trial_en.exe
       - Size: 236,811 KB

I started Ex Blend 2 and it worked. Version 2.0.1523.0

Next, I went to this screen: "Thank You for Downloading Microsoft Expression Blend™ 2 Service Pack 1". You can get there by canceling your download you started on the previous screen:
    http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/thankyou.aspx?familyId=eb9b5c48-ba2b-4c39-a1c3-135c60bbbe66&displayLang=en

From this page you can click a link that says "If your download does not start after 30 seconds, click this link: Start download." If you hit "Save" and then compare the two files you downloaded, just as Vadim pointed out in a post on Feb 27, there are two different sizes of the same file called - BlendV2SP1_en.exe

1) On the download progress panel it says it is 17.8 MB, after downloading to disk it is 18,241 KB - this one does not work
    2) On the download progress panel it says it is 17.7 MB, after downloading to disk it is 18,228 KB - this one WORKS!

An obvious CM issue here...

So, feeling lucky, I installed the 18,228 KB version of the file BlendV2SP1_en.exe.  And just like Vadim said,  it WORKED! Yes!!

After installing the 18,228 KB version of the file BlendV2SP1_en.exe, go to Help About in EB 2 and you will see, "Microsoft Expression Blend 2 Service Pack 1 Version 2.1.1760.0"

Hopefully this helps everyone get past this crazy issue.

-Cary
    • Marked as answer by Cary321 Monday, March 23, 2009 8:48 PM
    Monday, March 23, 2009 6:40 PM