none
HIPAA EDI Processing in R2 RRS feed

• Question

•  

Hi all,

I am planning an upgrade of a current BTS 2006/HIPAA 3.3 install to version R2.  The plan would be to migrate completely to R2 version and uninstall the HIPAA Accelerator.  I understand that my transforms/maps cannot be migrated and will need to be "recreated?"  I am also using a custom Readdresser pipeline to change the ISA and GS sender ID values, since the Covast solution would not let me assign trading partner specific values for my "home" organization.  I understand this step will no longer be necessary, as I can now define those values like we could way back in BTS 2002?

Given the radical change R2 brings about, my plan is to test and develop my R2 solution in the development environment, and then completely uninstall BTS2006 from my production server, replacing it with a clean install of R2.  Does this make sense?  Finally, could I get some community feedback on level of satisfaction with HIPAA EDI processing using R2?

Thanks.

JT

Sunday, May 25, 2008 3:56 AM

Answers

• JT, Sorry - not sure what happened there.

I don't believe you need to (necessarily) lose all of your V3 maps.

Although I haven't tested this personally (yet)... there is a migration wizard for the old schemas here:
    C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft BizTalk Server 2006\SDK\Utilities\MicrosoftEDI

You might need to install the SDK pieces, if you didn't install them yet.

This thread might be of interest:
    http://forums.microsoft.com/TechNet/ShowPost.aspx?PostID=2969486&SiteID=17

If you have a client that is sending equivalent EDI segments and loops out of order (from the HIPAA IGs), then you will need to make some small schema changes. The Covast parser would re-order the EDI before it parsed the data into XML. The R2 parser does not. The solution is to change the group order type of the XML parent in the schemas from 'Sequence' to 'Any'. That will prevent the parser from creating XML that is invalid by the schema.

The EDI identifiers are now pulled from the party configuration, not the same as 2002 - but you have the same control. I think there might be a pain point where this could be cumbersome if you have a large number of trading partners(aliases)... and you might wish to extend the life of your readdresser pipeline component.

So far my clients have been pleased with R2... but if you are working with any EDI of size we still follow the same basic guidelines. Break the messages up early, scale out quickly, and avoid orchestration like the plague(at least for the happy path).

Chris

Friday, May 30, 2008 1:04 PM

All replies

• Thursday, May 29, 2008 3:19 PM
  • Hi Chris,

I would be very interested in your feedback, but it seems to have been cut off.  Could you please repost it?

JT

Friday, May 30, 2008 5:28 AM
  • JT, Sorry - not sure what happened there.

I don't believe you need to (necessarily) lose all of your V3 maps.

Although I haven't tested this personally (yet)... there is a migration wizard for the old schemas here:
    C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft BizTalk Server 2006\SDK\Utilities\MicrosoftEDI

You might need to install the SDK pieces, if you didn't install them yet.

This thread might be of interest:
    http://forums.microsoft.com/TechNet/ShowPost.aspx?PostID=2969486&SiteID=17

If you have a client that is sending equivalent EDI segments and loops out of order (from the HIPAA IGs), then you will need to make some small schema changes. The Covast parser would re-order the EDI before it parsed the data into XML. The R2 parser does not. The solution is to change the group order type of the XML parent in the schemas from 'Sequence' to 'Any'. That will prevent the parser from creating XML that is invalid by the schema.

The EDI identifiers are now pulled from the party configuration, not the same as 2002 - but you have the same control. I think there might be a pain point where this could be cumbersome if you have a large number of trading partners(aliases)... and you might wish to extend the life of your readdresser pipeline component.

So far my clients have been pleased with R2... but if you are working with any EDI of size we still follow the same basic guidelines. Break the messages up early, scale out quickly, and avoid orchestration like the plague(at least for the happy path).

Chris

Friday, May 30, 2008 1:04 PM
  • Thank you very much Chris!

Friday, May 30, 2008 4:01 PM