What APIs should be used when developing a Metro style Bluetooth app?

Question

• I wanna develop a Metro style Bluetooth app with C++. The app can supply the abilities, such as search devices, search services, pair device and so on. I tried to use function BluetoothFindFirstDevice/BluetoothFindNextDevice/BluetoothFindDeviceClose to find bluetooth devices. But i found these functions only can work in desktop apps, can not work in Metro style apps (the GetLastError return 5: Access is deny). What functions should be used to develop a Metro style Bluetooth app? Pls help me, thanx.
    Monday, June 11, 2012 2:09 AM

Answers

• That type of utility would be aligned with a desktop app. Metro style apps should not directly install or configure hardware devices on a system. A user should feel confident that what they do in one Metro style app will not impact every other app on the system.

A device vendor can provide a Metro style Device App but it is specific to a device. They are not for use with simply any class of device that can be enumerated on a bus or wire. See this documentation for more details on that subject:

Windows 8 Device Experience: Metro style Device Apps

Make sense?

John Hazen's post on Steven Sinofsky's blog might help you understand the vision for Metro style apps.

Delivering reliable and trustworthy Metro style apps

David Lamb

Monday, June 18, 2012 6:02 PM

All replies

• Is there anybody know this issue? Pls help! 
    Monday, June 11, 2012 4:43 AM
  •      I want to help you , but I don't know !

• Edited by dongfangbt Monday, June 11, 2012 7:36 AM
    Monday, June 11, 2012 7:28 AM
  • Maybe in the Windows::Networking::Proximity namespace

Thanks,

-Dongfang

dongfangbt@hotmail.com

Tuesday, June 12, 2012 1:35 AM
  •  

Hello,

You can follow up this sample code

Bluetooth call control sample

http://code.msdn.microsoft.com/windowsapps/Call-Control-b52ad696/view/SourceCode#content

Best regards,

Jesse

Jesse Jiang [MSFT]
    MSDN Community Support | Feedback to us

Tuesday, June 12, 2012 8:19 AM
  • In the Bluetooth call control sample,

The app can't supply the abilities such as search devices, search services, pair device ...

Tuesday, June 12, 2012 10:20 AM
  • Those type of capabilities are not available to Metro style apps.

It would be useful to hear what types of functionality you were looking to include in a Metro style app.

David Lamb

Wednesday, June 13, 2012 10:47 PM
  • I can use windows 8 to search devices and pair device in metro style 

so, how did windows 8 do such things : search devices , pair device ...

thanks

-Dongfang

dongfangbt@hotmail.com

Monday, June 18, 2012 9:22 AM
  • That type of utility would be aligned with a desktop app. Metro style apps should not directly install or configure hardware devices on a system. A user should feel confident that what they do in one Metro style app will not impact every other app on the system.

A device vendor can provide a Metro style Device App but it is specific to a device. They are not for use with simply any class of device that can be enumerated on a bus or wire. See this documentation for more details on that subject:

Windows 8 Device Experience: Metro style Device Apps

Make sense?

John Hazen's post on Steven Sinofsky's blog might help you understand the vision for Metro style apps.

Delivering reliable and trustworthy Metro style apps

David Lamb

Monday, June 18, 2012 6:02 PM
  • Hi, David,

This is one great post. Thanks for your detailed information.

I am wondering whether my drivers and COM services that run on windows 8 with X86 and X64 can support ARM windows 8 or not, if cannot support, how to change it? 

As far as I know, Metro style app can support X86 and X64 platform, but this includes the driver and COM services? would you please share some information for ARM windows 8 architecture?

Any helpful information would be great appreciated.

Dew

Tuesday, June 19, 2012 5:39 AM
  • Dear David,

Could you please answer Dew Sun 's question.

thanks a lot

-Dongfang

dongfangbt@hotmail.com

Thursday, June 21, 2012 2:57 AM
  • That information on ARM has not been released to comment on at this time.

Sorry

David Lamb

• Proposed as answer by Jesse Jiang Wednesday, June 27, 2012 9:29 AM
    Thursday, June 21, 2012 3:47 AM
  • Hi David,

I have the same issue with dongfangbt. I can use windows 8 to search devices and pair devices in metro style. Now, I use Windows::Networking::Proximity to search devices, but I cannot find any device.

Pls help me, thanx.

Friday, August 30, 2013 6:46 AM