none
Visual Studio Dev Essentials Free Plan RRS feed

• Question

• Hello, 

When I log in to my my.visualstudio portal, I can see that there is an option to use Application Insights for free (see screenshot below).

But how do I activate this free plan? I was not able to find the step-by-step anywhere.

I'm planning to use application insights w/ Power Apps (recently announced here )

I appreciate any help.

Thanks, Daniel

Daniel A. Damico

Monday, February 3, 2020 6:06 PM

Answers

• What you see in the second screenshot is the Visual Studio Subscription/Program, which is different from an Azure subscription. You would need the Visual Studio Subscription to view your benefits on https://my.visualstudio.com/. A subscription in Azure would still be required for you to create resources.

• Marked as answer by Daniel_Damico Friday, February 7, 2020 12:05 PM
    Wednesday, February 5, 2020 9:29 AM

All replies

• Hello Daniel,

Thanks for reaching out!

I believe the Visual Studio Dev Essentials Plan (https://visualstudio.microsoft.com/dev-essentials/) is already active on your account, provided you accepted the T&C when presented, which is what brought you to this screen.

In order to get started with using the mentioned benefits, you might want to create a free Azure account, that you can Activate from the same page:

Clicking on Activate will present you with a form that would look like this:

Check this brief video to see how this works. Once signed up, you'll be able to access your subscription and explore a wealth of Azure services via the Azure Portal, including Azure Application Insights.

Hope this helps!

Monday, February 3, 2020 7:37 PM
  • Hello, Bhargavi Annadevara

Thanks for your help. But actually I've already activated and used my Free Account + credits a long time ago. I don't have credits available anymore.

Anyway, I thought that the Application Insight free plan being shown (see the screen shot ) was available regardless of the Azure Free Trial / Credits.

But when I click the link to "Use it free" (inside the application Insight card), I'm redirected to the Azure Portal and if I want to create the Application Insights resource I need to select a "pay-as-you-go" subscription and there is no "Free plan" available.

Daniel A. Damico

Monday, February 3, 2020 7:57 PM
  • Hello Daniel,

I see. Thanks for providing additional context here.

Yes, in that case, as mentioned on the website, upgrading to a pay-as-you-go account when you’ve used up the $200 credit or after the first 30 days (whichever happens first) removes the spending limit so you can continue to get access to all the free products included in the free account. With the spending limit removed, you pay for what you use beyond the free amounts and this is charged to the card you provided.

The Azure free account includes certain products—and specific quantities of those products—for free. As of today, the list of free products page quotes "Unlimited nodes (server or platform-as-a-service instance) with Application Insights and 1 GB of telemetry data included per month" as Always free.

Now, you may need to use some resources beyond the free amounts (in conditions when you enable your production scenarios). In such cases, you’ll be billed for those additional resources at the pay-as-you-go rates.

Hope this addresses your query! For more details, please read through the Azure free account FAQ.

Monday, February 3, 2020 8:54 PM
  • Thanks again Bhargavi Annadevara

So, if I understood correctly, I can select the pay-as-you-go subscription when I'm creating the resource.

Despite I'm selecting a paid subscription to create the resource, I'm still entitled to the "Unlimited nodes (server or platform-as-a-service instance) with Application Insights and 1 GB of telemetry data included per month" as Always free"

Is my understanding correct? I'm asking this because I thought that I would need to the select the "visual studio dev essentials" subscription (second screenshot) while creating the resource.

Thanks again, Daniel

1) This is what I see while creating the resource

2) This is my visual dev subscription that is linked to my account. I was expecting to see this while creating the resource (see above)

Daniel A. Damico

Tuesday, February 4, 2020 12:24 PM
  • What you see in the second screenshot is the Visual Studio Subscription/Program, which is different from an Azure subscription. You would need the Visual Studio Subscription to view your benefits on https://my.visualstudio.com/. A subscription in Azure would still be required for you to create resources.

• Marked as answer by Daniel_Damico Friday, February 7, 2020 12:05 PM
    Wednesday, February 5, 2020 9:29 AM
  • Let us know if there is anything else related to this thread that we can assist you with, else please feel free to mark and close this out if any of the above responses have been of help!
    Friday, February 7, 2020 9:09 AM