Debugger Quit Working RRS feed

• Question

• Visual Studio debugging quit working for me.  But I'm not aware of any changes I made that might have triggered it to desist functioning.

The ASP.NET debugger is checked in project properties and debug="true" is set in web.config.  Note, I'm not getting the "no symbols have been loaded..." message and the red breakpoint dots aren't dimmed.

Details:  Visual Studio 2010 Ultimate, XP 64-bit, ASP.NET MVC project

Any ideas?

Debugging in the same project is working on my Windows 7 machine.

P.S.  What does the white rectangle inside the red dot breakpoint indicator signify?

Thursday, April 14, 2011 5:21 PM

Answers

• It indicates that the corresponding symbol file is not loaded, hence the breakpoint will not hit.

You can check whether the process in which your code is running has been attached by Visual Studio: select Debug -> Windows -> Processes, on the Processes window, you can what processes are currently attached, if your process is not there, please select Tools -> Attach to Process to attach to specified process.

After attach to the running process, could you please check whether the pdb file is loaded properly from correct folder, you can select Debug -> Windows -> Modules, on the Modules window, right click the symbol item, select Symbol Load Information, from the pop up window, you can see whether the pdb file is loaded and where the pdb file is loaded from.

Eric Yang [MSFT]
    MSDN Community Support | Feedback to us
    Get or Request Code Sample from Microsoft
    Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help.

• Marked as answer by eryang Monday, April 25, 2011 9:52 AM
    Tuesday, April 19, 2011 1:27 AM