App Icon change not updating on phone RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

I have redesigned the app icon for one of my app that I am still debugging. But I notice that the chang of app icon is not updated in the 'Applications' list. However if I touch and hold the app item, it will show the new icon and open the context menu. But the moment the context menu is closed, the icon return to old one. Does it happen for Marketplace updates also? Is it a bug?

However, if I remove the tile and reselect 'pin to start' after new icon is included in the app, the tile shows the new icon.
    Monday, December 13, 2010 3:06 AM

Answers

• I believe the app icons are cached.  However, I changed one of my icons in an update, and it appeared on the phone immediately (I think...)

Perhaps the download using Marketplace invalidates the cached icon differently then the Deploy tool with the emulator.

At the very most you may have to restart the phone and have the new icon appear.
    Monday, December 13, 2010 3:17 PM

All replies

• Had this same problem. Just uninstall the app in the emulator, and then redeploy it. New icon should appear.
    Monday, December 13, 2010 3:16 AM
  • On emiulator, there is no problem, as it is enough to close it and restart it. But on phone, I don't want to uninstall my app as I have some data which I don't want to be deleted when uninstalled.

So, is it a bug? What happens if we change icon on Marketplace app on update? Will it update the icon properly? I don't know if any had changed app ions after submitting their apps!
    Monday, December 13, 2010 3:38 AM
  • I believe the app icons are cached.  However, I changed one of my icons in an update, and it appeared on the phone immediately (I think...)

Perhaps the download using Marketplace invalidates the cached icon differently then the Deploy tool with the emulator.

At the very most you may have to restart the phone and have the new icon appear.
    Monday, December 13, 2010 3:17 PM
  • Hi Darin,

It appears you are right.

However, without restarting my phone, now I see the updated icon. Probably repeated use of app cleared the cached icon at some point on the developer unlocked phone. Even if that is happening, it must be a bug.
    Monday, December 13, 2010 3:24 PM