none
Unable to get the windows handle for the 'AxDrawingControl' control RRS feed

• Question

• Hello,

I've had Visio 2007 and Visio 2010 concurrently installed on the same development machine for a while with no issues.  After installing Visio 2013 also side-by-side I get the following error for all versions (2007, 2010, 2013) when trying to open a form.  The form is an MdiChild hosting an AxDrawingControl.

System.NotSupportedException: Unable to get the window handle for the 'VisioDrawingControl' control. Windowless ActiveX controls are not supported.
       at System.Windows.Forms.AxHost.EnsureWindowPresent()
       at System.Windows.Forms.AxHost.InPlaceActivate()
       at System.Windows.Forms.AxHost.TransitionUpTo(Int32 state)
       at System.Windows.Forms.AxHost.CreateHandle()
       at System.Windows.Forms.Control.CreateControl(Boolean fIgnoreVisible)
       at System.Windows.Forms.Control.CreateControl(Boolean fIgnoreVisible)
       at System.Windows.Forms.AxHost.EndInit()

when calling ((System.ComponentModel.ISupportInitialize)(this.axDrawingControl1)).EndInit();

Appreciate any help.

Thanks,

Z

Saturday, April 27, 2013 6:25 PM

All replies

• Hi Z,

Thank you for posting in the MSDN Forum.

I'm trying to involve some senior engineers into this issue and it will take some time.

Thank you for your patience and understanding.

Best regards,

Quist Zhang [MSFT]
    MSDN Community Support | Feedback to us
    Develop and promote your apps in Windows Store
    Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help.

Monday, April 29, 2013 12:48 PM
  • Hi Quist Zhang,

Any updates regarding this issue ?

Best regards,

Thursday, June 13, 2013 8:52 AM
  • Hello,

I am also experiencing this issue with Visio 2010 and Visio 2013 installed side-by-side, 32bit. Any help would be awesome.

Thanks

Sunday, January 19, 2014 9:48 PM
  • Hi,

It is possible to install both versions of Visio. But we can run only one at  a time. So open either one 1st as an application so the configuration will happen.

And make sure to have the Visio 2013 'VisioDrawingControl' in the application since Visio 2013 uses .vsdx file format and Visio 2010 will not support that format. 

So making sure the correct references and correct drawing controls will help resolve this issue.

Best Regards,

R

• Proposed as answer by Rohaan Monday, January 20, 2014 4:04 AM
    Monday, January 20, 2014 4:04 AM