none
Sequential and forward chaining rules RRS feed

• Question

• Hi all, I am in process of designing an application for which i am thinking of whether to wf 4.0 or wf3.5.

Problem arises from the fact that wf4.0 does not support forward chaining.

My problem is that i am not sure whether my requirements require forward chaining or not.I read articles  about difference between forward chaining and sequential rules but couldn't understand.

It would be of great help for me if somebody can help me by giving some example of sequential and forward chaining rules and how these affect the final outcome of ruleset(if ruleset exists in wf4.0??).

Thanks in advance

Cheers

TicArch

• Changed type TicArch Tuesday, March 23, 2010 9:57 AM I don't know this hence marking it as a question
    Tuesday, March 23, 2010 7:33 AM

Answers

All replies

• Hi there.

We have a list of migration documents here:

http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyID=bd94c260-b5e0-4d12-93ec-53567505e685&displaylang=en

One of those talks about rules specifically.  Did you look at that document?

Thanks!

Scott

MS Developer Support
    Tuesday, March 23, 2010 10:42 PM
  • Hi,

Yes, i have gone through WF4 Rule Guidance.docx.

Might be i was not clear in my earlier query.My problem in not how to implement forward chaining in wf4.

My problem is how to identify whether i need forward chaining or not as i couldn't understand the different between sequential and forward chaining rules. It would be of great help for me if you or somebody else can help me by giving some example of sequential and forward chaining rules and how these affect the final outcome of ruleset

Hope i am clear in my question this time

Cheers

TicArch

Wednesday, March 24, 2010 12:39 AM
  • TicArch,

Jurgen had written an introduction to the WF rules engine for WF3 (updated last year) - it goes into detail about sequential and forward chaining rules: what they are, and how they are evaluated...and it has a couple decent examples in it.

• Marked as answer by TicArch Friday, March 26, 2010 10:56 PM
    Friday, March 26, 2010 10:44 PM