SharePoint workflow - terminate paused step when field is changed RRS feed

• Question

• I have built a SharePoint list with following columns, this list will be used to keep track of audit logs:

a) Description of log
    b) Deadline date
    c) Date information sent
    d) 1 Day Reminder Date (I am calculating the date based on the 'Deadline date')
    e) 3 Day reminder date (I am calculating the date based on the 'Deadline date')

Once a log is created, user will provide a deadline date, and once the information is sent user will edit the list item and fill in column c which is 'Date information sent', I need to build following workflow using SharePoint designer:

1) Send a reminder 1 day before the deadline is due
    2) Send a reminder 3 day before the deadline is due
    3) If user edit the log at any point and fill out the column c 'Date information sent', the workflow will need to terminate step 1 and step 2 and mark the log as 'Completed'.

I am lost and not sure how I can achieve this, I have tried pausing the step 1 to wait until the 1 day remind date, which works, but I do not know how I could implement the step 3, to terminate the workflow if column c is filled (not blank anymore). Please help!!! 

PS - I am using MOSS 2007 

Friday, February 10, 2012 10:23 PM

All replies

• Hi spgeekme

By your description, I don't know whether the column 'c' already have value before being artificially modify the value.

If no value, you can add a condition to the front of each workflow steps in your workflow:

Condition: If 'c' not equals ""

Actions: then stop the workflow and log

If the default value of the column 'c' is not empty, you can change the Condition to:

If modified by specific person (judge whether it was modified by the user)

You also create a column to record the original value of c,and set condition as above.

Thanks,

Lhan Han

Monday, February 13, 2012 9:07 AM
  • Hi Lhan,

Thanks for your reply, column 'C' is empty when it's created, problem is that when the WF is started it is paused to the 1st reminder date, and if a user changes column 'C' to add a date I would like the WF to terminate (terminate the paused step).

How do I do this?

Thanks,

Monday, February 13, 2012 12:04 PM
  • Hi spgeekme

Add a condition to the front of each workflow steps in your workflow:

Condition: If variable:c is empty

Actions: then stop the workflow and log

Thanks,

Lhan Han

Tuesday, February 14, 2012 9:28 AM
  • Hi Lhan, I am not sure if you understood what I have asked in my post, I know how to deal with an empty field and terminate the workflow. But situation is, that the workflow is already started and paused until the due date, but if user now add a date on column c (Date information sent), then I would like to terminate the workflow so it will also terminate the 'In Progress' paused until action automatically. 

Hope this is more clear as to what I am trying to achieve, can you please let me know how I can do this?

Tuesday, February 14, 2012 2:39 PM