Visual Studio 2008 SP1 with SQL Server 2012 RRS feed

• Question

• I have a VB application I'm developing in Visual Studio 2008 SP1. Last week, our SQL server was upgraded from SQL Server 2008 R2 to SQL Server 2012. Now, when I try to use any of the wizards in my dataset, I am presented with the following message:  "This server version is not supported. Only servers up to Microsoft SQL Server 2005 are supported".

Are there any updates or workarounds for this?

Monday, May 7, 2012 3:33 PM

Answers

• Hi Technobeam,

Based on my research,  Visual Studio 2010 only supports SQL Server 2008 and earlier, does not support  SQL Server 2012. That’s mean Visual Studio 2008 can not compatible with SQL Server 2012 as well.

Lucy Liu [MSFT]
    MSDN Community Support | Feedback to us

Tuesday, May 8, 2012 6:55 AM
  • the VS11 will compact with SQL Server 2012
    Monday, May 14, 2012 6:17 AM

All replies

• Hi Technobeam,

Based on my research,  Visual Studio 2010 only supports SQL Server 2008 and earlier, does not support  SQL Server 2012. That’s mean Visual Studio 2008 can not compatible with SQL Server 2012 as well.

Lucy Liu [MSFT]
    MSDN Community Support | Feedback to us

Tuesday, May 8, 2012 6:55 AM
  • So, at this point, microsoft does not have any development platform that will work with their newest SQL Server edition?

Tuesday, May 8, 2012 2:24 PM
  • the VS11 will compact with SQL Server 2012
    Monday, May 14, 2012 6:17 AM
  • I am sorry to oppose to people from Microsoft, and I do not want to make anyone incompetent, but my experience with this issue is different.

I mean it worked for me. I can talk from VB2010 to database attached on SQL server 2012.

Of course, for the sake of honesty, I have to point out at few specific about my installation.

Everything on my home desktop machine (Windows 7, 64 bit) is Express edition.

First, I installed VB 2010 Express, and that installer, not asking for the name of instance or anything else, installed one instance of SQL Server 2008 Express. I never used this instance.

After that, I installed SQL Server 2080 R2 Express 64 bit version, adding R2 to the name of that instance. In VB options, I changed default instance name to this new R2 instance, and started working on my projects.

When SQL Server 2012 Express was released, I downloaded 64-bit version, and installed it as another named instance changing its name to SQLEXPRESS12, so I could make difference.

Then I ran SQL Management Studio, connected to R2 instance, detached one database, and disconnected. I connected to 2012 instance, attached the same database, and database was upgraded to new version (it wasn’t attachable to R2 instance any more).

Then, I detached database, because Express edition of VB doesn’t want to work with databases that are already attached to SQL Server. It wants to attach them itself.

At the end, I opened VB Express, changed the name of default instance to 2012, started project with said database, changed connection string in it to point at new SQL Server instance, and recompiled the project. Everything works just fine.

Recently, using SQL Management studio, I created new database using 2012 instance, detached it, started VB Express 2010, and created an application around it not having any problems.

Again, I point out! I did not upgrade existing instance to new version. I installed new one side by side the old one, and then just upgraded the database. Maybe that did the trick.

Also, I’m simple home user running Express editions, and my databases are not very complicated: just dozen data tables and few stored functions. I don’t have  any experience with corporate solutions, as I don’t have any suggestions how this thing should be done there.

Friday, May 18, 2012 10:02 AM
  • Wrong, wrong, wrong, wrong, wrong.  How can you mark yourself as the answer, especially through your faulty transitive logic (VS2008 <= VS2010 in all features)?  I suggest getting peer review in the future so that they can verify and accept your answer.

You can currently use the VS2008 wizards (assuming SP1) with SQL Server 2012, but it requires some minor tweaks to your DataSource objects.  First, set the Provider to OleDb.  Then, set your connection string:

Provider=SQLNCLI11;Server=myServerAddress;Database=myDataBase;Uid=myUsername; Pwd=myPassword;

For future compatibility, you might try experimenting with ODBC.  The above worked for me, so I didn't try ODBC as the Provider with an ODBC-compliant connection string.

• Proposed as answer by JohnTWright Wednesday, August 22, 2012 4:17 PM
    Wednesday, August 22, 2012 4:11 PM