Win8 server - Error creating storage pool in Parity mode

Question

• With a fresh Win8 server install, I add 3 physical disks to a storage pool and then go on to create a volume.

Creating a simple or mirrored volume works fine. If I select the "Parity" option I get an error at the "Create virtual disk" stage with the message "No virtual disk was created. Try adding more drives to the pool".

I've tried thin and thick provisioning as well as different volume sizes - same error. 

Does this feature need 4 disks or am I missing something?

Marc.

Thursday, September 29, 2011 7:59 PM

All replies

• I am also seeing this problem in Windows 8 (Desktop) Dev Preview (x64). I have a physical pool consisting of 3 physical 1TB disks successfully created with:
    New-StoragePool -PhysicalDisks $pd -FriendlyName "Internal Storage" -StorageSubSystemFriendlyName *Spaces*

I then attempt

New-VirtualDisk -StoragePoolFriendlyName "Internal Storage" -StorageAttributesName Parity -Size 2TB -ProvisioningScheme Sparse -FriendlyName "Data Space"

and receive the error

New-VirtualDisk : No virtual disk was created. Try adding more drives to the pool.
    At line:1 char:1
    + New-VirtualDisk -StoragePoolFriendlyName "Internal Storage" -StorageAttributesNa ...
    + ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
        + CategoryInfo          : NotSpecified: (MSFT_StoragePoo...getServer = ""):ROOT/Microsoft/...SFT_StoragePool) [New
       -VirtualDisk], CimException
        + FullyQualifiedErrorId : HRESULT 80043605,New-VirtualDisk

Any ideas what the problem is?

Tuesday, January 10, 2012 12:55 AM